Projects uroMAMEstyx & uroVIVAstyx

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by superbigjay, Mar 17, 2007.

1. superbigjay

superbigjay New Member

uroVIVAstyx : done and ready to host the uros...

Hello everyone,

the vivarium is now completed and ready to host the 2 uros. We'll get them next week and I'll post some picture of them exploring their new habitat...

So here are some pictures of the project...

Level 2 : The access ramp [​IMG]This pic shows the access ramp on the second floor. The opening is on the cold side. To prevent sand from falling on the first floor, there's a rock platform (15x7) on one side. The remaining 3 sides are protected by a "wooden barrier", leaving room for up to 1 3/4 in of sand in that area. You can also see one of the four hides and also the "skull" (I had trouble to convince my girlfriend to let me throw that in...). Finally, you can also see the 2in ceramic border, near the sliding glasses to prevent (most of the) sand from ending up in the tracks.

Level 2 : The temp probes [​IMG] The 6 ambient temp probes are hidden. There're 3 per level (cold, middle and hot side). Here's a closeup of one of the probe ;)

Level 2 : The power control [​IMG]This pic shows the power control. It includes 3 dimmers (level1 - 150W heater, level1 - 150W basking lamp, level2 - 150W heater) and a timer for day/night features. It looks like a regular power outlet, but it is in fact a X10 outlet. (I already have X10 stuff all over my place, so I just throw one inside the viv). The nice thing with the X10 stuff, is that you can set all the timer event from your computer and even use some dusk/dawn feature that calculate the right time to turn on/off light/device. It's very flexible.

Level 2 : general view [​IMG]This pics shows a general view of the second floor. You can see 2 hides (small and big), real and fake plants (I'll probably have to remove the real one, but it looks nice on the picture) and far far away (5 ft), the 16x16 basking site.

Level 1 : access ramp [​IMG]This pic shows the level 1 basking site with its surface probe glued in place and the access ramp going to the second floor.
    note : I temporarily installed regular 100W lamps in most sockets to let the sand fully dried. It was a bit damped...

Level 1 : food station [​IMG] This pic shows the food station. I'm using another 15x7 slate on the cold side. This is where I'll put the food bowl with the veggies : no sand and cold (compared to the rest of the viv). You can also see another hide, the other real plant and 1 of the real rocks.

Level 1 : basking site
    [​IMG] You can see the level 1 "multi-level" basking site. Each slate is 5x15. You can't really tell on this picture, but there's room under the lower slate for the little guy to hide/run or do whatever they want. Everything is well secured, so there shouldn't be any problem :)

Level 1 : middle section [​IMG]On this picture you can see the space under the lower rock platform. I might add a fourth bag of sand to offer them more digging area. You can also see the 2 level 1 hides, the real and fake plants and the "elephant". Hey they need some decoration in their apartment right?

uroVIVAstyx general vue [​IMG]This last picture show the "vue d'ensemble" of the vivarium.

I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone on this forum that gave me feedback and/or inspire me during the build of the project. Soon enough, I'll get the little guys (next week) and I'll be posting pictures of them roaming around in their small new world.

Good night!
    Jay

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. redzombie40

redzombie40 New Member

RE: uroVIVAstyx : done and ready to host the uros...

wow that looks amazing