{Pygmy Problems)

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by DATDUDE, Dec 14, 2004.

?

Are they easy to care for and can they stay on soulder

1. *

NO defenatly not and no ?

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. begginer stuff and some time?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DATDUDE

DATDUDE Embryo

are pygmys hard to care for? (my cousin wants one) his mom had a panther before but he will want it to like stay on his soulder so will it like bite or run away. also couldnt find alot on them so do you have any sites on info. also i hear they can stay in a 10 gallon. Is it true?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

all chameleons are very hard to care for and no if it is handled for too long it will die from stress. no it cannot live in any form of tank because chameleons require lots of fresh air. chameleons are not a great starter herp and pygmys are definatly not the best choice for a first cham.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. DATDUDE

DATDUDE Embryo

what would you say a starter cham is and it cant be very exspencive( im buying it for him myself). adn yeahs ill get the neted cage thing or what you need for it

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

a good starter cham would be a Veiled, Jackson, or Panther. Keep in mind that although Panther chameleons are very beautiful, they are aggressive

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. DATDUDE

DATDUDE Embryo

waht are the nicest cause he has a brain tumor and his mom will be doing everything but i dotn want it to bite a brain tumored kid

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. meow_mix450

meow_mix450 New Member

I have no idea what Panthers you have down there but Panthers in Canada are very friendly. Never seen one that is agressive. Pygmy Chameleon are not the greatest beginner chameleon. They only live 1-2 years. I suggest Panther chameleons or veilded chameleon. Jacksons require more work. It is true that pygmy can live in 10 gallons. 1 pygmy will do fine in a 5 gallon. But go for a panther. Chameleons won't die if was held. It would cause lots of stress which is not always good. But it wont die.

Good luck

Meow

12. SpLiT

SpLiT New Member

Pygmy in a 10 gallon TANK??? dont you mean the neted cage

13. Chris_Anderson

Chris_Anderson New Member

Pygmy Chams (Genus Rhampholeon and Rieppeleon) do fine in tanks. The problem is, they are almost always WC and tend to be rather difficult to care for. They don't do well with handling. Also, panthers aren't a species that tends to be aggressive, veileds are. I don't think a chameleon would be good for this kid. I hate to say it but I don't think getting him a pet is the best idea for the animal.

Chris

PS - While I'm sure everyone is trying to help and has only the best intentions, telling people something when you don't really know what you're talking about is one sure way to contribute to the improper care of animals and lend to the myths that surround them.