questions on the ball im watching

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by geckolover22, Aug 10, 2011.

1. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

summers coming to a close and i would need to give the normal ball back but before ...of course i do this last second... i wanted to change his bedding would eco earth be okay? and another question is my teacher gave him a heat rock should i switch it out with an uth? one last question ball pythons need uvb bulbs?? because along with the snake came a heating lamp and a regular 52 watt bulb.. i'd like to correct everything and fix it up before giving him back

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Eco earth is....okay in some enclosures. If you are using a fully ventialated screen top on an aquarium or something its probably okay. My favorite substrate for these guys is Aspen, and I know Dave and Tracy Barker of VPI also prefer this for most of their animals. If I had to choose from a list of substrates in order that I like them for keeping ball pythons, I would go : Aspen, Paper towel, Newspaper (preferably unprinted).

I would ditch the heat rock, they are fairly dangerous and also prevent a natural thermal gradiant by forcing the herp to hug a single object for warmth. I'd slap a UTH on one end to provide a warm end in the upper 80's for his heat needs.

These guys don't need UVB, and actually prefer to have things dark. They are most often noted for taking refuge in abandoned termite mounds in their native land, sitting in complete, tight darkness for days on end. My advise would be a UTH on one end and a low wattage red bulb for viewing purposes instead of a full on light - but if this is a classroom pet I'd wager this won't fly too hot with the teacher...if the light bulb must stay make sure he has several nice dark hides to choose from = )

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

then i'd just plan to clean it out when i first recieved him the tank was pretty dirty... i'll recommend this to him and see what happens

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. BP36

BP36 New Member

-Jeff is right about the heat rock. they are prone to surging and flash burns. eco earth is great for frogs and high humidity herps, but generally for all year i prefer aspen bedding. eco earth can get packed in the heat pits and "gums" of the ball and can lead to infection. course cut aspen bedding allows for hiding and is easy to spot clean

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

Also, the cage should be at LEAST spot-cleaned every time the snake defecates or urinates, and bedding should be changed completely at least bi-weekly (if spot-cleaning is generous--if not, change it weekly), more often if it appears soiled or discolors due to moisture.
    A dirty cage is a recipe for skin infections, not to mention increasing the risk to human handlers (salmonella). Plus, many snakes are actually somewhat fastidious, and don't like to hang around in their own waste, understandably.

BP36 likes this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jcastle321

jcastle321 Embryo

Orchid bark is also very nice and easy to clean.

12. reptile boy

reptile boy New Member

Ha! your first messag! Congrasts! your gonna love it here! Hey Jeff- uh im currently keep my bp on that carpetly- rug- thing for now, is this ok? also, is sand ok (i not putting him on sand, just currrios) oh yeah! um what do you recamend?

13. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I prefer aspen, its cheap and easy to keep things clean...looks decent. The snakes can easily push it around to allow themselves to get closer to the heat source if they'd like and it also gives babies something to kind of "grip." Paper towel, cage liner/newspaper is fine too. Carpet should be just fine; I've just never been a fan of it due to it being harder to keep clean than other substrates.

Orchid Bark or Cypress mulch should be fine too - I've seen it used in some BP racks and enclosures. As mentioned earlier by WingedWolf, just make sure to keep things tidy in there.

14. reptile boy

reptile boy New Member

Thanks!! :)