Read this!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by smiley, Jan 31, 2006.

1. smiley

smiley Member

My daughter sells avon and I just recieved an email from the dist. manager. It says to be aware of anyone trying to get you to call a a phone number that starts with the area code 809. It could cost you over 2000.00 for one minute. The phone number is out of britian and they will try to keep you on the line. Some body at a phone company alerted our dist. mananger. I have saved it in my mail box if anyone wants me to forward it to them. I would forward to this forum but I don't know how. So do not call any number that starts with the area code 809. It is a scam!!
    Valerie

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

It's actually a caribbean number, which is why you can make an international call without knowing it. There are actually more area codes that also fall under this scam, 809 was just the start. It's actually a really old scam (10 years old or so), so I'm surprised it's still going strong.
    The charges are typically around $25/minute, but they are quite good at keeping you on the phone for a long time.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. smiley

smiley Member

yeah. I reread it and it said the british Virgin Islands { bahamas}. and it said you could be charged 2425 per minute { no decimals}which means basically 25.00 dollars. As you can see I skimmed over it quickly. It also said the area codes 284 and 876 are scams
    It's a good thing I'm not a witness to a crime.LOL