Red Eared Slider Prolapse

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by heathabee, Jan 1, 2006.

1. heathabee

heathabee Embryo

I have a Red Eared Slider that is about 2 years old. I've had her since she was a baby and have been the only owner of her. She eats good, but maybe too good now that I live with my boyfriend. I think that now that she is eating too much which may be part of the reason for her prolapse.

She has had this prolapse that wont go back and its been like this for over 2 months. Ive taken her to the vet, and the vet stitched it in costing me over 110 bucks (which I dont have). Then the stitches popped and I took her back to the vet for another 40 bucks and its still not fixed and now she hasnt gone to the bathroom since we took her to the vet last.

Now I dont know what to do, Ive taken her to the vet and done everything that i can think of. I love my turtle and am very attached to her but i know its not good that she hasnt gone to the bathroom in a month.

If anyone knows what I should do with out having to sell my soul and first born child to the devil, I need any advice I can get!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

I would definitely find another vet! Is the vet you took her to originally a qualified reptile vet? You can find one at Herp Vet Connection or at the ARAV website (Association of Reptilian & Amphibian Veterinarians). I found my vet from these websites, and I'm glad I switched to him. He's much more thorough than my other vet, and I actually switched because I wanted a second opinion on a leopard gecko that I have that's ill. Those websites also have reviews people have added about the certain vet you're looking at, which is also very helpful; you can see what other people have to say about going to that person.

If she has a prolapse, and has gone downhill (health-wise) since the last time your other vet looked at her, it's definitely worth getting a second opinion from another qualified vet (if your first vet is qualified to treat reptiles, I don't know). Unfortunately, this is only going to cost more money. But if you find another vet from those websites, call up the office and explain your turtle's situation as well as your financial situation and maybe you guys can work something out.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I doubt that her eating has caused the prolapse. Sometimes parasitic infections can cause them. Or unfortunately, if your vet wasn't thorough enough, there could be a mass pushing the tissue to prolapse. There's a number of things it could be. I'd find another vet. Another things that had helped us with amphibians, is placing them in a shallow bath of a sugar solution (about 10% or so table sugar in tap water). It helps relieve inflammation a little.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. heathabee

heathabee Embryo

I'm going to call another vet when i get home. I was recommended to this place a while a go but its far away so ive been hesitant. The vet is on one of the websites that was provided for me by Eirecorcaigh. Its worth a try, I have to take my ferrets to get distemper shots as well so as usual its the take the zoo to the vet day.

Hopefully she'll be just fine. I can only hope for the best.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bratspets

bratspets Member

Yes, find a better surgeon.
    I found this quote and kind of giggled at the underlined section. Glad that's not common for people.
    "Prolapses
    It's basically the Slider's intestine coming out of its anus. It usually goes back right in but you have to be very careful that it does not bite it or other turtles do not bite it. If they do it can cause serious damage. If the prolapse does not go back in, take it to the vet and they can stitch it up so it doesn't happen again. A lot of turtles will at some point in time prolapse, (i.e. turn inside out and outside of their body) their cloaca or for males their penises. Occasional prolapses are common and more annoying than dangerous if dealt with properly. There is little pain involved for the turtle. It is not known for sure, what causes prolapses. Diet, stress, parasites and intestinal infections, general disease, obstructed intestinal tract, and weak cloacal muscles have all been suggested, but there are no final conclusions. And, too much sex...(no joke). So, there are no known preventive measures, either."

I cringed at this part though..."This operation has a guarded prognosis."
    http://happyturtle.ms11.net//medical.html

I pray she gets better!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. heathabee

heathabee Embryo

appointment soon!!

Madam Franklin has an appointment on Tuesday, the 31st so i will post after the vet to update on the situation.

I was wondering if I should go to the previous vet and say something to the vet as to why they didnt tell me that they had no clue what to do before they butchered my turtle and made me pay 150 bucks to do so. I figure that i only have 10 min of my life to waste to ***** and complain plus I should get any records I have there for her and the ferrets before i go to the new vet since I will never return there ever again.

Does anyone think this is a bad idea??

12. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

RE: appointment soon!!

If done diplomatically it's a fine idea. Tell them you obviously are not happy with them and won't be returning and they should not be treating turtles as they are not familiar enough with them. No sense making a big scene or stink, just be polite and let them know there services, or lack thereof, leave a bit to be desired. Do it calmly though :)

13. bratspets

bratspets Member

RE: appointment soon!!

Have your new veterinary clinic request the medical records for all your animals be transferred to them. You don't need to say anything after that...most veterinarians realize they make mistakes. But you can write them a short diplomatic note, as Clementine suggested, if it makes you feel better.

Let us know what the new vet says.

14. heathabee

heathabee Embryo

update

update on franklin: the vet i went to-who was amazing and i would recomend to any one in westchester county NY- first picked the turtle up and asked how long she had this problem... i explained the situation, and he was actually amazed to find out that franklin is actually a male in a female body. Its really wierd, everything would lead one to thing that franklin is a female but she has a penis. the wierdest part was the prolapse wasnt from the tail which is usually where penis prolapses occur and since the turtle has such a small tail (im telling you even the vet thought it was a girl until he saw the hemi penis). The vet did a purse stitch that was tight enough for the turtle to poop and by the time we were in the car to go home the stitches popped again. I went back into the vets office and he decided that franklin needed the stitches to be a little tighter and the hole to poop needed to be smaller until the muscles got stronger around the cloaca.

Final decision, if this doesnt work and keep everything in place then Franklin is going to need to have the penis amputated since its so swollen and irratated and the muscles are so flacid. Apparently i am suppose to stop get my turtle sexually excited but i dont think thats the cause of the problem, but im sure it will help the wound heal.

thats all i know until next week when i will venture back with the turtle and two ferrets to get the stitches out and distemper shots for the wessels. Ill try to keep everyone updated.

15. biochic

RE: update

I'm glad you found someone you could trust. Prolapses can occur during breeding, but sometimes they occur from parasitic infections. You may ask him to run a fecal on Franklin the next time you go in (take some fresh poo...lol). Just to be safe and have all your bases covered.
    As for finding out it's a boy....at least you don't have to change his name! lol

16. kelly1982

kelly1982 New Member

:) I'm glad you found a great vet it wonderful to have someone who you can trust

17. bratspets

bratspets Member

Very interesting outcome...good to hear you found someone knowledgeable!
    And yes, funny about the name...who could have known? I guess if he gets his wienie cut, he can
    still be "Madam Franklin".

18. Eirecorcaigh

Re: RE: update

lmao! Poor Franklin!

Glad to hear that you found a good vet! Keep me updated on his progress! :)

19. heathabee

heathabee Embryo

RE: Re: RE: update

Franklin is not doing good again. The prolapse is back, the problem is that since the tail isnt long enough when Franklin gets excited it comes out of the cloaca and stretches the muscles and then wont go back in. They ruled out parasites when we got some fresh poop.

Now i face the problem that i wont be able to afford the surgery. Ive already spent over $250 on a $10 turtle. I love Franklin but I cant afford this surgery. I just had a ferret have a serious reaction to the distempter shot which almost killed her and they had to keep her at the hospital for a while on IVs and meds.

Many ill just try to seduce my vet, hes attractive.... i really dont know what to do. :cry:

20. biochic

Talk to your vet about possibly paying for the surgery in installments. Sometimes if they know your situation, they are more inclined to help out as much as they can. Did you get a quote on the surgery? Sometimes there are procedures that can be done differently so as to bring the cost down a bit. You might ask about that. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to suggest. I wouldn't recommend seduction....unless he's single....perhaps free health care for you pets for life?!?!?? lol

21. Eirecorcaigh

I would definitely talk to your vet about payment options. I had an ill iguana once, and I put so much money into getting him well. Then of course, Murphy's Law.... the turtle got sick afterwards! While he was treating the turtle, and after explaining my financial situation, he was very understanding and let me make the payments in small installments.

If he is single, share the wealth I say! I could really use some free fecal tests :p