rescueing a cham

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Tokaylove, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

ok so a guy who comes into the petstore that I work at has a veiled cham and he wants to give it to me b/c he is scared of her and thinks I can take better care of her. I will be her third home and from what he has said she is pretty young about five inches. We dont carry chams in the store b/c we dont have a proper place to keep them so I dont know much about them even though I should. Ok so I just need a good care guide and any tips anyone can give me. Also the first owner only fed her pinkies thats it, and that cant be right? So Im hoping she will eat crickets more then pinkies. Is it okay to feed her pinkies sometimes especially if she is hard to wean onto other food. Sorry this is sooo long. Thanks for the help.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. opti

opti New Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. uhh..yeah

uhh..yeah New Member

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. thepogona

thepogona Member

pinkies? how abusive is he's only 5 inches. If he/she won't eat crix, try feeding silkies, they usually cause a feeding strike.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

Yikes that chameleon has had a horrible life. It still is young, if that measurement is right she is only a couple of months old. She should go for crickets once you put them in her cage.

12. thepogona

thepogona Member

When you do get her; would you post some pics?

13. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

Well Ive had her two weeks now and she has been drinking and eating crickets off the tongs I will be ordering silkies on tuesday. She only eats 2 or 3 each night and it takes a lot of patience but so far so good she looks like crap but I cant wait to fatten her up!! My husband and I built a great cage did all the research and it seems correct I will post pics soon. Can she have pinkies every now and then or should she just get crix and worms?

14. brittone05

brittone05 Well-Known Member

Tokay - I had probs with George's eating when he arrived and found that offering wax worms in addition to everthing else got him eating a treat. I would just let him see me putting them into his feeding cup so he knew where they were and then put his other foods on top so he had to eat them to get to his favourites! Good luck :)

15. thepogona

thepogona Member

Stick to just crix and worms. The pinkies are too large of a prey item for a 5 inch veiled. Wait another 4 of 5 months.

16. Heika

Heika Moderator

Actually, pinkies are not supposed to be real good for chams anyhow. In the wild, I suppose that they occasionally catch a mammal, but they are primarily insectivores. They aren't really built to digest mammals.

Heika

17. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

she is actually much larger then he said about eight inches without the tail, she ate 2 waxworms and 3 crickets last night and I saw her drink!!! I think that I will be able to nurse her back to health thanks for all the help, I will post pics tonight!!! And she wont be getting pinkies now that I have her.

18. thepogona

thepogona Member

that sounds better (but still needs work). Thanks!

19. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

she ate 4 silkworms and 11 crickets lets talk improvement!!!! What is up with her laying eggs? Found three in the last couple days so she now has a big tub of dirt and hasnt laid anymore!!! Strange, so we are making sure she is getting plenty of calcium. Also when I figure out how to upload the oics from my digital I will post her and the cage.

20. thepogona

thepogona Member

Even still, being female, always have a lay box available.

21. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

Here she is, what could that dark spot on her leg be from? She has had it since we got her.
    [​IMG]

And here is the cage
    [​IMG]

22. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

she also has a laying box and a tray to catch the water from her rain system that arent in the pic

23. gargoyle08

gargoyle08 New Member

Chams for some reason like green stuff. If you offer green food, they usually go straight for it.

About pinkies, an occasional pinky is not bad for gravid females or when you want to fatten up a skinny individual, but certainly not for a regular diet. Crickets, silk, wax and butter worms would be better, and for green worms you can try tomato horned worms. My cham chases me around when I have that available. they get as big as a finger and make a very good exoshell free meal.

24. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

well I tried some collard greens and she wasnt interested but I am going to try some other greens and just always offer them to her. I just got a shipment of silkies yesterday and she loves them. I realize pinkies arent a good diet for her and she has only had one since being with me and that was because she wouldnt eat anything else. I have also been looking for a good place to order some tomato horned worms , she also loves waxworms and has gotten used to her diet of crix and no mice.

25. gargoyle08

gargoyle08 New Member

Nice cage you setup for her there! And she is a nice size too :)

to catch the water, you could try simply putting a plant in there, like a ficus or other plant that will not grow too much and will handle the water. THey like real plants and that makes more room to walk around and hide.
    This is what I do with my cham for crickets: we use a big soda cup from one of the fastfood places and put the crickets in there with a piece of carrot for them to much on. We hung the cup to the side of the cage, next to the vines. As long as the sides of the cup are clean, they do not jump out. We simply had to teach our chams to go eat in there. This way, we have few escapes and we don't need to hand feed either. I simply hand feed the worms or for the really big ones, I put them on the side of the screen. The boys come right to the door when they see me with the cup of food, they learn quick :)

Nadine