Roach Law in Fl

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by Baker14, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Baker14

Baker14 Member

Whats the deal with not being able to recieve roaches in Florida? WHat happens if you get caught?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

You can keep Discoid Roaches in Florida. They were recently changed in classification from exotic to introduced.

All other typical feeder/pet species are still classifieds as exotics and are not allowed. The reason being is no different than what is happening with the Burms in the Glades. They dont want a new species introduced to the wild because they have no idea of the adverse effects it could have on the ecosystem.

Penalties for keeping banned species can range from large fines to incarceration and a criminal record. And in some cases people have been banned from owning any kind of exotic animal ever again while residing in Florida. Much like people who commit computer crimes are not allowed to own computers again.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Baker14

Baker14 Member

So your saying i can get discoids shipped to me in Florida? Ok, thanks for the info. xD

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

No. I said you can legally keep Discoids in Florida. You can also have them shipped to you if the seller is in Florida.

Whether you can get them shipped to you from out of State is another matter completely. Out of State sellers are supposed to get a permit from the Florida Dept. Of Agriculture to be able to do so. Whether they will grant that permit or not is another story. I re-applied for my Florida shipping permit after the status change to introduced and have been waiting for months on end for a reply and still have not heard back yet.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Baker14

Baker14 Member

ok thanks, just wanted to clarify.I do understand a bit of why they dont want them or other exotic reptiles in florida. We already have the infestation of burms like you said, and iguanas that are everywhere!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. froggymatt

froggymatt Embryo

the previous poster was correct...we can have discoids here in florida,and there are a few breeders in the orlando area that could supply you with a starter culture if you want to raise them yourself!