Rough Green Snake housing?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Crazy4Herps, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

I have 3 uninhabited glass tanks, and I have been interested in getting a Rough Green Snake sometime this spring, maybe.

The tanks' dimensions are
    40 gallon- 36x18.5x17"
    30 gallon- 30x12x19"
    10 gallon- 20x10x12"

Are Green Snakes arboreal? If so, I can tip these on their sides.

Of course I will get whatever is best for the snake, but I'm wondering if any of these would work?

Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

i dont really know what it is, but i'm thinking its like vine snake or boomslang, green long and thin. i'm pretty sure its arboreal, looking at its green colour its a sign that this animals have been well camouflage in a tree.
    i'd chose the 30 gal if we dont tip that, but if you tip that i'll go with the 40 gal.
    give it some nice branch, a real living tree if you can, so it can camouflage very well. remember that snakes like this dont usually eat mice, so u better think for another meal, or another snake if you cant find the meal.
    ok :p

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jeffg46

jeffg46 New Member

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CitrusDragon

CitrusDragon New Member

if it is a small rough green snake, the 10 gal should be fine. just make sure that you give him a good sweat box and some branches for climbing.
    dry moss is a good substrate, and you should provide a deep enough water bowl for soaking.
    i have worked with this species before and they are very sensitive. they are always wild caught and when they become captive they seem to get overloaded. probably from parasites, as with stress that can become fatal.
    they eat crickets, but I would recommend juvinile crickets as they are easier to swallow.
    they are also very prone to absesses and tumors as well so I really wouldn't recomend this species.

have you thought about green rat snakes? they aren't small, but they are certainly heartier.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

Thanks so much for your input, CitrusDragon! I looked up green rat snakes, and they are very cute. If I do end up getting a green snake, it will probably be a green rat snake.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CitrusDragon

CitrusDragon New Member

you are very welcome! glad it helped :p

12. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

im not really agree with citrus dragon. as you see, both green snake, are colubrid, not boids, and sometimes they're really active. they like wandering, and i think they need lot more space than a 10 gal. a 20 or 30 is the best i think. green rat snake? rat snake can be more than 1 meter, but i dunno with the green one. smaller?

13. CitrusDragon

CitrusDragon New Member

rough green snakes are small, so a 10gal is fine. I have worked with this species many times and they are always fine in a 10 gal.
    however, these are always wild caught and the chances of a rough green snake surviving in captivity are aroud 20% or less, its just a bad idea to buy one.

the rat snake on the otherhand would do better in a much larger tank, and the taller the better.
    it would also have to be captive bred. a wild caught specimen would probably just die.
    this is an excellent snake if you are well familiar with caring for snakes and are able to meet its needs.
    they also need very high humidity, so a sweat box somewhere in the tank is a good idea.

14. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

10gal and you still need to tip it?
    where can you place dringking place?
    hides?