RSPCA - anti reptile policy

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by susyq, May 9, 2005.

1. susyq

susyq Member

:x the rspca is currently lobbying for the banning of keeping reptiles visit this site to sign this petition or we may all find ourselves breaking the law and more importantly losing our reps

heres the policy outline :-

In the current RSPCA policy document “Policies on animal welfare” (revised 2003) it is stated that:-

“Exotic animals such as snakes, lizards and terrapins often carry disease, are difficult to look after and are rarely provided with adequate facilities. Such animals are unsuitable as companion animals”.

Such thinking flies in the face of current opinion which is that for many households, the more traditional pet, such as a cat or dog is totally unsuitable and a reptile, which can be provided with its own micro-environment, is a preferable option. This is particularly true when owners are at work all day, where members of the family have allergies, or where the overall environment is unsuitable for other pets. Reptiles are excellent pet animals for those living in flats, people without access to a garden or those living in close proximity to wildlife sensitive areas.

The recent REPORT ON THE WELFARE OF NON-DOMESTICATED ANIMALS KEPT FOR COMPANIONSHIP produced by THE COMPANION ANIMAL WELFARE COUNCIL (12 June 2003) supports the view of the pro-reptile keeping organisations, stating “…….it may be easier to keep some non-domesticated species to high welfare standards than some that are domesticated. Thus, meeting all the requirements - space, dietary, social, thermal, and so on - of a small, hardy, reptile may be more readily achievable for many people than adequately fulfilling all the needs of some breeds of dog”.

Reptiles, in common with all animals, can occasionally be a source of disease which can be transmitted to humans, but the chance of contracting such a disease is far less than from most other pet species. It has been categorically proved time and time again that mammalian pets certainly present a far greater risk than reptiles. In term of safety, reptiles have been demonstrated to be the second safest pet animal, with only tropical fish a safer option.

It is also a fallacy that reptiles are difficult to look after and difficult to provide with adequate facilities. Nowadays the vast range of products, literature and equipment available means that keeping a small reptile is as easy as keeping a mouse or hamster.
    http://www.petitionthem.com/default.asp?se...ail&pet=994

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mthorpe

mthorpe Well-Known Member

also, i just want to add, please do not support the RSPCA in any way with donations... they are a corrupt organisation and should be closed down. if you want to support animal welfare, please support small animal sanctuaries that actually care for the animals...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. madaboutpaddy

madaboutpaddy Member

whoa, steady mthorpe, you said they are a corrupt organisation and should be closed down. Where do you get this from?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mthorpe

http://www.webtribe.net/~focus-rspca-au/PR...THE%20RSPCA.htm

Quote:

RSPCA KILLS MORE THAN HALF OF ALL PUPS AND KITTENS THEY HANDLE
    SHELTER STAFF WEEP WHEN RSPCA ‘HIT SQUAD’ KILLS SEVENTY ADULT DOGS

theres more info on this on that website... all of it is 100% true...

http://www.webtribe.net/~animadversion/
    http://www.webtribe.net/~animadversion/cou...rspcamoneymaker
    http://www.f-b-h.co.uk/
    http://www.repta.info/

read through these, and im sure that you will agree with me that the RSPCA is a corrupt, money making organisation. if you want to support a animal rescue charity, please support one thats interested in the welfare of the animals, not in making money.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mthorpe

that is just my opinion that they are corrupt and should be closed down... its the head offices that are currupt, there are many of their officers that are animal lovers, but in principle, i believe that an organisation claiming to be helping animals, and in reality killing 63% of cats that they handle isnt helping animals... just my opinion...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. madaboutpaddy

madaboutpaddy Member

are you sharing this with them? Do the RSPCA know your views?

12. mthorpe

no, i help with animal welfare by working at a small animal sanctuary, and doing fund work for them (collections etc) and spend the majority of my free time in school holidays etc working there... with most of it being voluntary work.

13. madaboutpaddy

madaboutpaddy Member

Mthorpe - chill.. I wasnt questioning your obvious great love for and knowledge about animals / reps - i just think you might want to share your strong views about the rspca with the rspca - and allow them to challenge / respond to what you state.

14. kephy

kephy Moderator

The SPCAs position on reptiles is old news. I signed a petition on this many many years ago.

15. mthorpe

im fine/calm :D.

all im saying is that it would be best for people to support small animal organisations, and not the large ones... thats just my opinion...

also, i wouldnt write to them because their not going to listen to anything a 17 year old has to say... mabye when im a bit older i may write into them... but for the moment, i think that it would be a waste of time writing to them...

16. kephy

kephy Moderator

I just noticed you are talking about the RSPCA. I knew of the ASPCAs views on reptiles, not the RSPCA. I'm confused, are they basically the same organization? I'm wondering if the ASPCA is as corrupt as those articles claim the RSPCA to be.

17. madaboutpaddy

madaboutpaddy Member

rspca is based in UK - thats the one mthorpe and i were discussing

18. kephy

kephy Moderator

I know that, but I'm wondering if the American based society has the same problems.

BTW, it's come to our attention that this thread has been posted in every forum. I understand that susyq is trying to draw attention to the cause, but it's against forum rules to multiple post threads in all the forums. It's really better in the long run to have all comments in one thread, than to have them scattered across each forum. So I'm going to move these posts to the thread in Reptile Law & Legislation and later I will delete this thread from the BD forum.

19. intoxicatdkizz

intoxicatdkizz New Member

well the aspca here in Philadelphia just opend a new place for the sheltered animals to go.. they dont always take in reptiles.. but they do not refuse them if really needed. my sister works for the new organization PACCA ( Philadelpia animal care and control associtaion)

20. susyq

susyq Member

Whilst on the corn snake fan club web site i found a post from an american reptile keeper asking if they could sign the petition as the aspca is also carrying a campaign for the same thing!!!!!

21. stevetims

stevetims New Member

mthorpe, why do they need to know you are 17, if you want help writing to them I will happily help you do a letter. What would you like them to do differently, have you looked at their web site and seen what they say they want to try to achieve, if they are wide of the mark, that is what you would like to see them change. Don't give up - apathy and non-action is how we ended up with such a great caring loving and considerate government.

Go for it, you are not alone. The letter could be written and signed by heaps of people from here to give added weight - I could help you set up a petition web site so people can sign up, are you at school / college - can you build it in to a project to get credit for the effort?

Steve

22. madaboutpaddy

madaboutpaddy Member

mthorpe, they dont need to know your age - i agree with stevetims. I dont agree with everything you say about the rspca - i have a friend who works for them - and i KNOW there is much good they and he do too. Its made me look a lot closer at some of these issues but I just think you and anyone else who publicly states strong feelings / opinions as you have, 'a corrupt organisation' - should share them with those you are criticising - giving them a right to reply and ensuring everyone is fully informed. If you want help, proof reading anything like that let me know.
    Keep up the great work - The animals and reps have a good friend in you.

23. k0rtnie

k0rtnie New Member

I realise I'm a month late on this, but I'd be thrilled to proof read for you as well!

Btw, 17 does not = illiterate, uninformed, immature, or un-intelligent. Well, not all of the time, but that's the same for all age groups. =Þ

24. LadyCham

LadyCham New Member

M Thorpe:
    I think it's great what you are doing, informing the people and having heart for such a big cause. Just reading your post I would have never guessed you were " a 17 year old" (I'm guessing your a women as well) I encourage you to speak you mind and don't let your years discourage you. Young adult do have power, we are the future. Thank you again and I will sign the petition. I also have an interest in the animals in my life and would like to talk to you about concervation efforts in the near future.

25. InvaderKiani

InvaderKiani New Member

It's so sad that the very "angels" of animals themselves are money hungry scoundrels!!!