savanna bedding

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Fiend4Lizards, May 15, 2005.

1. Fiend4Lizards

Fiend4Lizards New Member

Im looking for the perfect bedding for my baby sav. I have read that soil is a good bedding, but also that it can cause problems with the scales. Right now i have sand in his cage. Im a little worried about the sand so im just lookn for some info.Your info will be put to good use.Also i wouldnt mind hearing stories of u and your sav.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

coconut fiber and topsoil (untreated dirt) are the best. cypress mulch is also good. the only problem with soil is that the animal gets dirty

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Fiend4Lizards

Fiend4Lizards New Member

thx for the info Klik

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. BeardieFiend

BeardieFiend New Member

are walnut chips good cuz i think thats what fiend4lizards has

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ryzard

ryzard New Member

They're ok, but the drawbacks of them are that they are not very absorbant compared to other materials available, unstable for traction, don't hold heat as well as sand, and can be harmful if ingested by herps. Also I would just try to stay away from nutshell products because many, as well as the trees' leaves & wood, contain noxious chemicals.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

walnut chips are not good at all. they do not hold burrows, arent safe if ingested, and can have sharp edges which will harm your herp

12. Fiend4Lizards

Fiend4Lizards New Member

thx for all the info. I just put about 6 inches of top soil in the cage. Should i add more or is that good.

13. nomad85

nomad85 Member

there really isnt a readily available "perfect soil" top soil isnt really the best on its own, try mixing in vermiculite or perlite and sand to see how well it will work for you I have read that a 50%soil 25%perlite 25%sand is a good mix, you want it to hold some moisture and hold a burrow, but not dry out(you ad water to it once in a while). it takes some expiriementing(dont expirinemt with your monitor in the cage... do it seperately and once you find a good mix let your monitor have at it:) ) I think 1.5 to 2 feet is a good amount of dirt, but if you cant do that im sure 6 inches will work ok.

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

why mix vermiculite sand or perlite? the soil holds great humidity and its what i only use in my crestie, croc skink, and monitor tanks. home depot sells "Top Soil" for $1.50+Tax for a 40lb bag. and all it is, is dirt. nothing else

15. nomad85

nomad85 Member

people mix it to create a good burrowing medium, agian I havent ever used dirt but this what I have read, also a soil called decomposed granite is a recomended soil for monitors,uros. It hold humidity and burrows very well. Just do what works best for you. :D