Savannah monitor with a dog?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by PhanT, Oct 8, 2004.

1. PhanT

PhanT Embryo

I really hope someone can help me with this.

My wife and I have a baby savie named lenny and we love him alot, but my wife needs to get an assistance dog very soon. I don't want to part with Lenny, but my wife really needs this dog. :?

Does anyone have any advice on what we can do? Can dogs and savies co-exsist peacefully? Is there specific things we can do to make this work?
    Or do we have to say goodbye to our Lenny? :cry:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Keeping him should not be any problem. There are definately dogs and savs (as well as cats and other animals) that are co-existing peacefully together in households across the globe. I have a picture in one of my sav books of an adult sav and a dog eating out of their own food bowls, side by side. Admittedly, not all dogs will get along with all savs, but you can sure try it, and if not then you can always keep them separated. Your sav should have a terrarium of his own at least to sleep in anyway. A word of advice, when you want two or more animals to co-exist peacefully, it is best to introduce them to their new home at the same time. With new surroundings for both animals, neither one will have any territorial claim established yet so neither one will feel his space is being invaded. They should both investigate their new surroundings as well as each other, and eventually come to a mutual understanding about which spots belong to who. Just make sure you supervise closely so your dog doesn't try to make a snack out of Lenny. :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. xxSiNNxx

xxSiNNxx Embryo

always wonderd that myself cuz i got 5cats n a dog wonder if my sav could deal wit all that lol

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nomad85

nomad85 Member

a sav will likely kill cats.. dogs may be ok.. I wouldnt try it..

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bifford

bifford New Member

in or out of the herp house?

if you are just talking about having a dog around the sav in it's home and such it should'nt be a problem. i just got my sav about two weeks ago and i have a very large pit bull (the biggest sissy in the world) and he has little to no interest in the sav and the sav doen't seem to care about him.
    outside of the habitat might be different though. seeing as you are talking about a service dog, perhaps with some time and training they could know each other outside the herps house.
    dan

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mickeydee1984

mickeydee1984 Embryo

my dog steers clear of all reptiles...when we have them out he goes the other direction. it works out well

12. Gauzbo

Gauzbo Member

My cat fears my reptiles alot, shes interested, but stays away ever since my tokay clamped onto her.