Scale Rot

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by crissybac, Jan 9, 2011.

1. crissybac

crissybac Embryo

My poor Nikko has scale rot. I rescued him when he was almost dead and noticed a lightish brown color on a part of his belly but thought it was his own skin. Gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, obviously not.

The scale rot covers 75% of his underbelly There is a black line down the middlle of his belly. Since applying the Betadine and Triple Antibiotic ointment, It seems to be splitting. I am wiping him down with Betadine placed on a paper towel 1-3 times a day. After applying the Betadine, I cover the entire area with Triple Antibiotic Ointment by Actavis. I've looked at many pictures and Id say his case is not hugely severe as the coloring is a light brown but the line down the middle is very dark.

1.) AM I TREATING HIM PROPERLY?

2.) HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE OF APPLYING SOLUTION AND SHEDS TO BE HEALED? SHOULD 1 SHED FREE HIM OF THE ROT OR MORE?

3.) WHEN IS THE POINT WHERE I SHOULD STOP USING THE SOLUTION AND MOVE TO AN INJECTION? IN OTHER WORDS, WHEN DO I REALIZE THAT THE SOLUTION JUST ISN'T GOING TO WORK AND I NEED TO MOVE TO STEP 2. (For most, that would be the vet!!!!!!!!!!) 2 SUGGESTIONS FOR INJECTION HAS BEEN "CAMBIOTIC" AND "BAYTRIL INJECTION." I AM FULLY FAMILIAR WITH SKIN POPPING INJECTIONS INTO SNAKES SO I AM NOT OPPOSED TO GOING IN THIS DIRECTION, ONE BIT, BUT I NEED TO KNOW HOW LONG I SHOULD WAIT. I WILL USE INJECTION AS A LAST RESORT.

3.) I NEED TO KEEP HIM HYDRATED. I HAVE REMOVED THE WATER BIN AS HE LOVES TO LAY IN IT. I ALSO ENDED UP REMOVING THE LITTLE WATER BIN AS HE JUST KNOCKS IT OVER. I HAVE READ TO GIVE HIM A BATH EVERYDAY WHICH WILL ALLOW HIM TO SOAK THE WATER IN HIS SCALES AND KEEP HIM HYDRATED. WELL THIS CONFUSES ME! HE NEEDS TO STAY DRY. WHEN I RESCUED NIKKO, HE WAS NEAR DEATH, COLD, DEHYDRATED AND NOT FED IN A YR. (defecated and vomited after each holding) I USED DIABETIC NEEDLES AND SKIN POPPED HIM WITH PEDIALITE FOR ABOUT 4 DAYS TO HYDRATE HIM. DOES THE BATH SERVE ANY OTHER PURPOSE THAN HYDRATING THE SNAKE AT THIS CRUTIAL TIME? DOES THE BATH ASSIST HIM IN HIS HEALING? IF NOT, I THINK I AM JUST GOING TO SKIN POP HIM WITH PEDIALITE... OF COURSE THIS ALSO DEPENDS ON HOW LONG IT MAY TAKE TO HEAL HIM.

Those are my main questions. I have raised 5 ball pythons in total. I only have my one rescue now as the other four were lost in the divorce but this is the first rescue I've ever had and he has been a doozy to take care of.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LittleLeopard

LittleLeopard New Member

I've never experienced scale rot before but i felt sorry for you so I've looked it up. It sounds like your doing the right thing. I'd wait till the next time he sheds and see if its reduced at all.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mango95

mango95 New Member

1. I believe you are treating him properly being the steps to curing scale rot are...
    -Get the temperature right (around 90 F)
    -Get the humidity right (make sure the substrate IS NOT TOO HUMID! i would say around 50-60%. they slither in the substrate and their tummies must stay away from too much humidity)
    -Get the tank cleaned up*** (important; scale rot is from snakes slitherig around in their own excrement and coming down with an infection on their stomachs)
    -Use triple anti-biotic ointment (WITHOUT painkiller)
    -A bath in a betadine solution (10% betadine)

2. For healing time, after one shed most of the rot will be gone, possibly all. It depends on how badly it is. You can't really put a time limit on when it will heal. It heals when it gets better.

3. That dark line worris me. I have heard of cases in which the scale rot turns to blistering lesions and splits open and then it becomes very hard to cure. I would not take a chance being your snake is very important to you and you only want the best for it so i would DEFINITELY see a vet as soon as possible being scale rot is best treated early. If you want to know about injections you should talk about it with your vet since they have been going to college for years and will know the best treatment option for your snake.

4. If your snake is always laying in his water bin than that could signal that there is not enough humidity in your tank. If you keep it between 50-60% humidity then you won't have to give your snake a bath. I would no give him the baths becaus he does need to stay dry.

Good luck with your python and sorry if i couldn't answer all of your questions entirely :). Best wishes!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Wade

Wade New Member

The best thing to do at this point would be to simply take him to the vet and put on some antibiotics. Scale rot is a big deal that shouldn't be underestimated. Hope it works out.