Seriously concidering a Monitor or a Tagus

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Ryeshu, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

I have to say i'm pretty new to reptiles. I have 4 Ball Pythons and i find them to be a real treat! I was almost considering buying a Berdie but for some reason i seemed to change my mind. I rencently brought one of my Pythons to a Reptile store and saw some lizards. One continuously was pushing on the class door of his cage attamopting to simply slide it opened. I watched him for a good while as he rubbed his face aganist the class and contantly flicked a giant fork tongue at me. Asking the lady at the store she said that they grew to be about 3 or 4 feet? Do they really get that big? is there a licence requirment? About how big does caging need to be and what is best for them? Also what do they eat? Is there a difference between a Monitor and a Tagus? I can already see what is good about them, I find them very cute and they look fun to play with but what is their down falls? As you see I have a lot of questions. Please help,
    Thanks,
    Rieshu.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

Hello Ryeshu,

To start off I believe a monitor or tegu would be fine. Monitors generally don't like to be handled. Infact given the chance 98% of them would run if given the chance! I've kept my fair share of monitors (dumerils, mangroves, ackies, waters...) and I love them to death. Problem being is if your looking for something that will lounge around with you like a beardie or alike your not going to find that unless you go with a larger monitor or one of the africans (savs, white and black throats). I'm a huge fan of croc monitors and waters (not really big on the africans). Problem is they need a GIANT enclosure bigger then rooms in some peoples houses! I was talking with a friend one day about lizards. I said "I'd really like a decent sized lizard that I can handle without any problems. It's not going to try and bite me, run, scratch me up...." That's when a friend recommended Tegus to me. I had never looked into tegus as to me they were just wanna-be monitors. But I began to look into them anyways. I went to a nearby pet store (underground reptiles) and check out some tegus. Quickly I began extremely interested. I didn't want an argentine Red or B & W and Colombians are like nile monitors and need tons of work. I was really into the blues though! That week Exotic Pets posted a juvie male on kingsnake.com! I sent Ken an e-mail and bought it that day! Tegus have made it to the top of my list! I will always have tegus around! They make great pets in so many ways! Little kids can mess with them (atleast mine) without the worry of being bitten. My little sister (12yrs) can go in and pick up my big female and she's fine. Check out my website for more info! In all honesty I think the Blues are the most practicle! They get the perfect size, big, but not to big to handle. If you have any other questions let me know. I did reply to your pm as well! Hope this helps!

www.jlexotics.thetegu.com

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

I am looking for something to kinda just lounge around with me but just informed, i'm not allowed to have any of these lizards until i move out when i'm 18...I really want one though ;_;

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

how about a yellow ackie? they only get 2ft same as a beardie

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

I don't really know the differnce between them..Umm...how big (gallons( tank do they need?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. yesITis

yesITis New Member

yeah for some one who has never owned a monitor before i would stay away from the big one's (water,mangrove,nile ext..) But Savannahs dont really get that big usally around 3-4 ft. they can also become very tame..i dont know about lounging around the house with you because its all up to the monitor. but most savannahs can become rather tame. I had a savannah that would fall asleep in my arms and while sitting on my lap. But if you get a dwarf monitor like Timor(i purchased one a few days ago) it can be housed in a 60 gallon fish tank but i have mine in a custom cage that is 5 feet long 2 feet deep and 2 1/2 feet tall. this is a good sized cage for them. its big but they use all the space they get. They are really active and have awesome personalities. I would suggest a Timor. I love them.

12. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

The size of the enclosuer is really going to decide my choicel. I could get a 60 gallon. I have a 55 right now for one of my pythons. So a timor would be best for me then huh? What do they eat? How often do you feed them?

13. Danac

Danac New Member

Buy a Tegu

I have owned many retiles. I never got overly emotional about any of them as they don't really bond etc. HOWEVER, I bought a B&W ARG. Tegu about three or four months ago and have forever changed how I feel about the ability of some reptiles to learn and respond. After a week of nipping, tail slashing etc. my boy, (then about 10-12"), gave up and relaxed. After four months, he demonstrates to be let out of his cage and held. He holds his head up for stroking and closes his eyes in the enjoyment of it all.
    Argentine Tegus tolerate much cooler temps. than monitors and other tegus. They are easy to feed and can be lease trained easily. I have a beardie and a very big boa currently, along with the Tegu. I am also going to be the proud owner of a female Tegu as well, (both from Ron St. Pierre), within the week.

I couldn't be more entralled about a herp than I am about Tegu's. If you want a personable reptile, (the thought of which is bizarre when you think about it), one that is capable of learning to come when called, Argentine Tegu's are the only way to go!
    Dana

14. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

Re: Buy a Tegu

I'm not sure when it comes to the temps as I don't know much about the argentines, my knowledge lays with the blues. When it comes to becomming lease trained - NO reptiles can't be! They will do what they want or without one. They aren't a dog (although probably as close as you can get) but won't listen if you pull on the lease. Tegus in general make amazing pets! I just upgraded my caging and will be looking to pick up a few (atleast 5 - 0.2 albino and 1.2 blues for a total of 1.3 of each) at the tampa show. IMO the blues are the calmest of all tegus. I have yet to run into a nippy blue (even ones that haven't been handled) and I can't say the same for argentines. When it comes to feeding, a monitor is a monitor and a tegu is a tegu, very rarely do you have problems. They say you shouldn't and *I won't recommend this* but I have no problems hand feeding my animals. Anyways...Blues are the perfect size, not to big, yet not to small. Thus is my opinion that you can't get better then a blue....then again everyone has an opinion :)

15. varanus_rex

varanus_rex Embryo

not to doubt yesitis but the facts on the savanna size is in dispute. i have a savanna close to the 6 foot mark. his name is zilla and lives in a greenhouse outside. he'll kick back with me when i go out there to hang out with him he lives with an argentine b & w named vegeta who kicks back on a branch behind the benches and watches me over my shoulder whos about 4 ft but they have been aquainted for around 10 yrs. ive had zilla 16 yrs and he is the best pet i ever had. so either one is a good choice monitors/tegus are both fascinating the choice is up to the individual.

16. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

A 6ft savanna is not common. The majority reach about 4ft. Although one must be ready for that 6ft animal.

17. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

the most a sav will ever get is 5' long. 6' is very hard to come by. Argentinian tegus can tolerate a pretty low temperature, and will hibernate until warmer weather. Varanus, a sav that is 16 and almost 6' is amazing considering they usually max at 5' and live 10years. hand feeding a large monitors isnt recommended. i remember doing that with my 3ft sav and i had some pretty bad bites, not to mention that monitors and tegus have lock jaw like a pitbull does so it is another challenge to get them to let go. Argentinian Tegus can become trained like dogs, and will respond to their name being called if properly trained. my monitor would look at me whenever i said Tripp, but he never would come to me. All monitors and tegus can be taught to respond to their names, due to the fact of how intellegent they are. the problem is whether they want to learn it or not. if you want a "lounging" monitor go for a sav. they dont get too big and are pretty laid back. black and white throat monitors can get 6' or more and can be very aggressive animals. i would not recommend them to an unexperienced keeper. blue tegus, like JL says are awsome animals to consider getting, and you will never regret it.

18. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

well said :)

19. varanus_rex

varanus_rex Embryo

well said indeed but it is not uncommon for reptiles to grow larger than the books say they will a healthy long lived monitor can go far beyond that which is expected since books are constantly being rewritten it is uncommon for a sav to reach 6 feet but anything is possible especially for an older male monitor. and i would never dream of handfeeding one since their bites are designed for crushing bones. they live in a 10x12 greenhouse outside that is climate controlled and r not good for novices. i was prepared for a water monitor so i had the necessary room needed when he got bigger than expected. blues r ideal for a good starter savs generally are but be prepared there r some occasions when they do reach unexpected sizes. i personally have never seen another sav as big as mine and probably never will i am glad to be a part of its life for he has brought me countless hours of enjoyment for both of us. he is my pride and joy. i dont have kids but they r all my babies.

20. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

Well said :) ....Maybe grab a few girls for him? Blues are great! I'm currently housing them in 54" visions which they seem to like very much. They are let out to freeroam almost daily. I love them to death, my pride and joy! Blues make great pets, I'd recommend them to anyone and everyone regardles of experience! They are tough to kill, infact I believe you must want to kill one in order for that to happen. I personally have no problems hand feeding as I've been doing it all of my life. Then again just be careful, as you are taking a risk. If one were to latch on it wouldn't be pretty, that's for damn sure. Then again I would NOT recommend it.

21. guitarplyr13

guitarplyr13 Embryo

JLExotics, I read that youve kept Mangrove Monitors. I am about to purchase my first Mangrove and I was wondering if you had any tips on keeping and breeding them. I've bred snakes, beardies, and chameleons, but never monitors. Are there any things I must know before breeding?
    Also, i was wondering if you could give me an idea of what caging you provide for yours.//

thanks,

22. guitarplyr13

guitarplyr13 Embryo

not good information

hey,

First off, Savannahs are not small monitors! They are much larger than 3 or four feet, and you need a very large enclosure! I agree with yesITis on one thing though; Timors are good monitors, and can be housed easily. They only attain a length of about 20 inches, and can be fed on a diet of pinky mice and crickets. If you want a lot of useful information on all the monitor species(including Timors), I would recommend Monitors, Tegus, and Related Lizards by Bartlett.

(P.S. I dont mean to disagree with you yesITis, i just wanted to let him know :D )

23. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

sav arent that big most dont even exceed 4ft. WC timors can be very shy, but they are awsome to keep

24. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

Ever seen a 30+ inch timor? I have :)!!! Don't underestimate ANY monitor/tegu....umm...it can happen lol!!!