Sexing Green & Bahaman Anoles

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by dirtjumperdaniel, Jan 15, 2005.

1. dirtjumperdaniel

dirtjumperdaniel Embryo

Is there anywhere that I can take my anoles to have them sexed? I can't find out if the Bahaman anoles are male/female & I don't know anything about the green anoles. If I post pics will anyone be able to tell me? Also are there anyother links that you know? My anoles have some of both characteristics. Thanks a lot.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Videogamelover)

Videogamelover) New Member

I don't know about bahaman anoles, but i konw this about green anoles. Male green anoles have a throat fan,( Dewlap) and it can be whitish or bright red. Also, mature males may get this flaplike thing on it's head and middle of the back. Females aren't that easy to find, but they have a long white mid-dorsal line on their backs. Also, they have a very small or no dewlap. They're throats may be pinkish., :mrgreen:

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. i_3_Scooter

i_3_Scooter New Member

from what i've read the way you tell the difference in bahaman anoles is the males usually have a very small ridge running down their back while the females do not. apart from that it's really hard, because they're colored very similarly :-S. it took me a while of searching to find someone who could tell me the difference, because the person i bought them from neglected to mention just how she figured them out. males are also in general larger than the females. http://www.kingsnake.com/anolecare/5.htm this site here has some good info relating to the sexing and general care of both species of anole. take care!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. zippy

zippy New Member

male bahama anoles have tanish dewlaps while females have normal colored dewlaps but they arent really dewlaps because they dont frill it out. males also keep their heads raised alot of the day and dont fall asleep as easy. male green anoles like to stay at the top of the cage and if there are any other male green anoles they raise their dewlap and/or crest alot. when there are females around males bob their heads and frill everything out.