sexing my hermans tort

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by staceface, Mar 21, 2007.

1. staceface

staceface Member

the shell is pretty flat on the bottom and my dad seems to think it comes to a slight V at the bottom, does this mean i have a girl? i cnt really compare the size of the tail to anything else so dunno if its big or not

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. staceface

staceface Member

also she (i think) hasnt eaten yet, she is 2 years old and the person who sold me her didnt really know much and just said she ate romaine lettuce, tomatoe, and cucumber.
    i gave her i bath yesturday but she just laid there, although she is very lively outside the cage. is there anything i can do to help her eat. surely she will eat if shes hungry right?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

Stay away from the tomatoes they contain oxalates that will bind calcium. Cucumber is ok to keep them hydrated, but contains very little nutriants (watch out for diarea). It's not the best time of year, but see if you can see some danelion thats good. Also endive, escarole can be bought.

May not be able to tell sex until it's a bit older (5-7years or more). I know the russians are obvious with the tail having to be tucked to one side if it's male.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. staceface

staceface Member

thanks wookie, ill take the tomatoe from her food. and i have offered her escarole along with some romaine and cucumber, the shops round here are rubbish for buying food i struggle to buy it for my beardies normally use watercress, is this ok for my tort? ill keep a look out for endive and dandelions,

iv read that torts shouldnt be given any lettuce at all is this true? and that it binds calcium like tomatoes.
    thankyou

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

When they say lettuce it's normally talking about iceburg which has no nutritional value and can cause diarea. Saying that some other lettuces are just as bad.

Took me a while to find something that my russian would eat readily. Chinese Leaf (not bok/pak choy) has been quite good for me along with romanie, prickly pear and danelion. I did find nutritional info for it ages ago, but can't find it any more, you need to find the greener stuff though as it seems to be yellow alot of the time. I've taken to growing alot of the salad stuff myself.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Kingkier

Kingkier New Member

I can't really help you with the sexing part but if you are going to feed it lettuce try and get red lettuce as i've been told it's more nutritious for them.I bought some dandelion seeds of ebay so that mine can have dandelions all year around.I've also found another website called www.shelledwarriors.com which shows edible weeds and stuff.Try and add some variety into her diet.Mine never seemed to eat tomatoes but after reading the comments here that seems like a good thing.lol

12. staceface

staceface Member

yeh the variety of food she gates now is much better after iv researched ;)