Should i get him???

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Kingston, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Kingston

Kingston New Member

hey, this is a pic i took at my local reptile store and im defffinatly going to buy a ball but im wonderin if i should get a normal or het because i am goin to try and breed balls. I am very interested in breeding them . Im 15 so i dont wanna make a wrong desicion and then later be somthing i regreted. if u can help thanks
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

well if you want to breed balls it would help if you let us know what kind and that would help us better answer your question... Are you going to be breeding co-dom or recessive genes... I would say if you like him go ahead and get him, it will be good practice for when you get some hets and if you are breeding you are most likely gonna have about 8 or 9 snakes anyways so one more wont hurt. Also a good idea would be to get a female if your gonna get a normal as it is always handy to have a big female around come breeding season!!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Kingston

Kingston New Member

big females usually lay more eggs right? how big does a male have to be until he can breed?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

12 months of age and a female has to be 1500 grams which usually takes around 18 - 24 months

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Kingston

Kingston New Member

ok 1 more question how much do u think an albino would be?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

it depends if its a male or female... males anywhere from 1600-2000 females from 2000-2500. and yes that is U.S. dollars lol

12. avd88

avd88 New Member

I think its great that more and more people are getting into ball keeping, try making research before you buy it, that way you`ll always be a step forward and know what to do in case of emergencies, etc. Also remember that sometimes petstores dont take apropiate care for the animals, so you should double check what youre about to buy, look for any respiratory infections, broken ribs, cloudy eyes (if its about to shed both eyes should be cloudy), mites, signs of stomatitis, etc, that way youre making sure youre making a good buy. :wink:

13. Kingston

Kingston New Member

yea i have always bought my snakes at either reptile shows /or a special reptile place

14. Rocky

Rocky Member

Also, the males minimum weight is 500 grams. But that is the bare minimum.

If you cant lay out thousands for ball pythons, go with hets. You could get a pair of albinos for $750 - $900 depending from where.

Make sure the normal is a female! Could never have enough quality normal females!

15. Kingston

Kingston New Member

yea thats what im going to do. why does the female have to be normal?

16. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

o it doesnt, he was saying that if your going to get a normal be sure its a female as they can be quite helpful when breeding, for obvious reasons

17. Kingston

Kingston New Member

yea my dad and i have decided we would like to get a het instead of a morphed phase.. so i think we would be getting it on dec which iz my birthday and there is a show on the same day

18. Kingston

Kingston New Member

sry dec 3*

19. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

awesome what kind of het are you getting? also just to be sure, you know about genetics and punnett squares and reccessive, co-doms, and doms right?

20. Kingston

Kingston New Member

i swear this is the fastest thing ive learned in a long time...i was really interested in this beacause i like snakes so much....well yea i know....we're thinking about a pied but i am interested in clowns.

21. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

yeah they are both awesome but to be completely honest with you in my opinion there is a bigger market for Pieds than Clowns

22. Kingston

Kingston New Member

hey orange i saw on another post that you were gettin some hets? what did you get?

23. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

o didnt get them yet... lol but thanks for the interest but for a little bit after christmas i will be getting a pair of het albinos

24. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

o and sorry about the spelling, i tried to type to fast

25. Kingston

Kingston New Member

yea im pretty lucky my birthday is so close to christmas lol. want kind are you interested in?