shut eye?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by dino&geico, Feb 27, 2005.

1. dino&geico

dino&geico Embryo

hey im wundering about my monitor, dino. his left eye seems to b shut alot lately. well not completelly shut but just not open all the way like the other eye. there duz not look like theres any dead skin keeping it closed and iv en soaking him in war m water for the pat 2 days and it duznt seem to be helping. any suggestions?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dino&geico

dino&geico Embryo

didnt mean to make the letters bold sorry

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

what type of monitor is he? is he wild caught or captive bred? how long have you have him? what do you feed him? what is his enclosure setup?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dino&geico

dino&geico Embryo

its a svanna monitor, ive had it since it was 1 month now its 7 months old. i give him 3 pinkies a week. hes in a 50 gallon tank for nowwith a basking spot of 95 degrees.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

the basking spot should be 120F. way too little food at 7months he should be getting around 5 pinkies a day. how big is he? a 7month old sav should be able to handle fuzzies or a small mouse. about the eye, what type of substrate do you have? if it is something that is loose, he might have something under his eyelid. when you soak him do you submerge his head or do you splash water on the eye?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dino&geico

dino&geico Embryo

im going to upgrade trhe mice. i hav him on repticarpet. hes often asleep in his water bowl with most of his head under water.(weirdo) lol.

12. dino&geico

dino&geico Embryo

o hes about 121 inches head to tail. is that 2 small?

13. dino&geico

dino&geico Embryo

i meant 11in

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

only a around a foot long and he is 7months. at 7months mine was a little over 2ft. for the eye im not sure what is wrong i would bring him to a vet. could you post a picture of his eye? try feeding him 2 or 3fuzzies every day or every other day