Sick snow leopard Gecko?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by G&D gecko2, Oct 9, 2013.

1. G&D gecko2

G&D gecko2 Embryo

We have two snow leopard geckos pretty sure they are both males Dublin and Guinness. Guinness is the bigger of the two and has a big fat tail seems to hide more than Dublin. They came to us about two months ago and Dublin has always been the smaller of the two. But the past week he has taken a turn. Become super skinny and his poor tail aint no bigger than a number two pencil. He does spend most of his time in the moist cave. Does come out to use the corner and eat I think. I put five wax worms and three meal worms daily and are usually gone the next morning. It is not just Guinness eating because though being the bigger of the two he just aint a big eater. two or three worms and he is full. Neither seem to be interested in crickets. Dublin sleeps a lot and when awake never really opens his eyes wide anymore, and his tongue is a pale color where Guinness is a pink color. Dublin just shed so is color is very vibrate but you can see his shoulder bones and ribs. No sores No cricket bites. They are in a 20 gallon tank, temp and humanity gage, moisture cave (wet paper towel changed every other day), their drinking water gets changed every other day, tree cave and a log for cover, day and night heat lamps, eco earth compressed coconut fiber expandable substrate. Temps and humanities stay normal for the day and night. I have learned that when the tail gets smaller then they are losing body mass. The people that had them before us kept in the same cage fed crickets dusts in calcium and vitamins(like I said they are no longer interested in crickets since we introduced wax worms) and said that Dublin had been losing weight cause he was not eating we hand feed him for a week and he seem to get plumper until this last week. We were suppose to get three geckos but one died a week before they came. Like I said we have had them two months but just this last week Dublin looks weak and we are scared to pick him up just in case we crush him because of how delicate he looks. Is my Dublin going to die?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Males bully each other and may even kill one another. If they are kept in the same enclosure than you have your answer. Seperate them ASAP. A bit of pedialyte (plain only) in the water will help with dehydration an other things he lost. Repashy Reptile vitamins are the way to go. Every other feeding you dust your crickets/superworms (supers and mealies shells are hard to dust but they eat the vitamins if you put some in the container). Gutload all your food items properly. There is a list of veggies that are safe for gutloading. He may end up to sick to eat but if you do this, it can turn things around. Make sure you keep his tank warm on one side about 92-96 and cool side at least in the high 70's to low 80's. Paper towel substrate for now and change it to something like slate tiles later when he is well. Leave some calcium powder without D3 in the tank for him to lick at when he wants to. I use a old jar top.