Silkworm questions

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by LizardLicker21, Sep 16, 2004.

1. LizardLicker21

LizardLicker21 New Member

I recently bought some silkworms online, and my baby bearded dragon loves them. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about how to breed them? Wishful thinking...
    Thanks,
    Vanessa

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I just know that they say it's very difficult. And it would be best to buy the kit from mulberry farms. I was recently thinking the same but I figured too much work and too pricey, maybe when I get a bit older with some more cash and room.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LizardLicker21

LizardLicker21 New Member

Azriel has been enjoying his silkworms, and I was wondering if I could switch him from crickets to silkworms. He's 8 weeks old, so I don't know if that could influence the decision.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. missy

missy Member

i actually have this book about all kinds of crafts. i think its called tv free activities for kids
    one of the activities is keeping silkworms.
    they say to get the silkworms and wen the turn into butterflies put them together in a dark box thats kind of cold like maybe 10-15 degrees celcius (not sure wut it is in F) and then after i dont know like a couple of months or something (im not sure) take them out and there should be eggs

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Thats pretty awesome Missy! And I think that you could make your beardys diet soley silkworms over crickets if you want. Might be a bit more expensive but I do believe silkworms are the healthies staple food you can get for a beardy! Just make sure the are silkworms, not mealworms, butterworms, waxworms or superworms.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. kephy

kephy Moderator

I'm actually trying to raise silkworms right now (raise, not breed.) I got about 350 1 week olds, and 200 eggs.

The 1 week olds were fine for a few days, but I screwed up pretty bad and let condensation build up in their container one day. By the time I noticed there was a problem mold was starting to develop. I moved them all into a new container ASAP but still lost almost every single one of them. ;)

There is hope in the future! My eggs are hatching right now! I hope I will have learned from my mistake and will do better this time, but I still don't know how to prevent condensation completely. I'm going to keep them in a different room than before, where hopefully there is less humidity.

So yeah, it's kinda hard. You have to keep it very sanitary, temps and humidity have to be just perfect. One little mistake and you could lose almost the entire group before you can fix it. :? However, I think with a little bit of trial and error anyone could do it and it would be worth the trouble. You just have to accept that you might screw up a few times before you get it all right.