Skinks! Who has them?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by spurs, Apr 7, 2005.

1. spurs

spurs New Member

Skinks! Who has them?

I need to find somebody with great knowledge with Skinks especially with the 'Five Lined Skinks'.

As I wouldn't mind getting one, but need to find out information from the keepers of this type of lizard.

Questions:

1) Would A 2' x 1' x 1' tank be alright to keep one?
    2) Are they a begginer lizard? i.e. How easy are they to keep?

That's all the questions.

Thankyou

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Well I don't have a five lined but I've got an Irian Jaya Bluey named Bulldog! There's not a whole lot of info on skinks but the best site I've been to is www.bluetongueskinks.net. Blueys are just awesome and have incredible personaliteis. Honestly I compare them to beardies as far as how close you can bond with one.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kavinos

kavinos Member

To be honest, a 2' x 1' x 1' isn't really big enough to keep anything.

Five lined skinks will reach between 6 and 8 inches, so an adult would require something thats 24" x 18" x 12" . There also not the ideal reptile to hold, so as far as being a beginner reptile id probably not recommend them.

Personally I like blue-tongued skinks.. but they can be a little feisty. For a first reptile try leopard geckos or a bearded dragon. There easy to get to grips with :D

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. wideglide

Yeah but it's only a big show(entertaining if you ask me)and after a while they calm down quite a bit.

BTW, I'm going to go ahead and move this to the General Lizard forum as it is a more appropriate forum for discussion of skinks.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kavinos

kavinos Member

yeah I do agree wideglide. Although my friends got a large breeding colony in a huge viv setup.. they are nasty little things :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. nomad85

nomad85 Member

I have a Kei Island bluey that I rescued from a pet store. I dont know if the fiesty attitude comment was for blueys or five lined, but blueys typically are very tame and socialable, blueys need at least a 40 gallon long terrerium, Im not sure about five lined skinks, I'd go with a bluey personally... check out the caresheet on www.bluetongueskinks.net, it has everything youd ever want to know.

12. wideglide

Huh? You like them but think they're nasty little things? Are we still talking about BTS's?

13. nomad85

nomad85 Member

my thoughts exactly:) also skinks are thought to have a much lower need for UVB (many keepers do without it) likely since they are burrowers... its a personal choice and I believe its better to err on the side of safety

14. iggy_lover

iggy_lover New Member

what about the five lined skink though. does anyone have info on them?

15. nomad85

nomad85 Member

do a search for them they are also called blue talied skinks. I have no interest in them so I dont know much, they are likely very similar to other skinks in their temp needs and they eat small bugs, like crickets and caterpillars.

16. animal_punk_gurl

animal_punk_gurl Embryo

I have a five lined skink.
    My mom hates it. I just got it, I caught it actually. They live in some parts of NY where i fish. They are really fast.

If you know how to set up a good environment for them they wont be nervous and will eat what bugs you feed em, but if they are stressed then they will feel threatened and wont eat.

If you are a total beginner then don't raise them.

17. animal_punk_gurl

animal_punk_gurl Embryo

Any more questions?

18. alexisonfire#1!

alexisonfire#1! Embryo

I don't know much about five lined skinks, but I do own a very nice and tame schneider skink, i think its female. sorry i don't want to change the subject here but does anyone know the price of a schneider skink? i bought mine off a friend with a small tank and everything in it, i made a 50 gallon tank for him later, she likes it much more :D

19. Bokelana

Bokelana New Member

can the blue tounged skins really "drop" their tails or is that just a bunch of lies i have heard?

20. wideglide

I've heard the same thing but I've never actually seen it so I don't know. I've also heard if they do drop their tail it will not regenerate.

21. nomad85

nomad85 Member

Blue tongues can drop their tails, and they do grow back, they just aren't as long as the original.

22. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

BTS's cannot deliberatly drop their tail like a Leo can. if their tail was pulled hard enough or bitten or became severed in some kind of way, then it would heal and grow a slight stub in place.