Snake ID please!!!

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by mango95, Oct 21, 2009.

1. mango95

mango95 New Member

i recently found this lil guy when i was walking my dog and since i already have one corn snake i thought it would want a friend. The pcture isn't that good but i was wondering what it was. It looks like a rat snake and its only a hatchling. I live in North carolina if that helps. Also what do hatchlings this small eat? it doesn't look like it could eat a pinkie. What do i feed it?

Attached Files:

• s.bmp
      File size:
      412.6 KB
      Views:
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mango95

mango95 New Member

s.jpg Here is the picture of thhe snake

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

im not sure what it is but you would be suprised about how a really tiny snake can eat a pinky. the snake would probably do best if you set it free but if you are going to keep it i hope you dont plan on housing it with your other snake.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mango95

mango95 New Member

i wasn't going to house it with my other snake but what would happen if i did?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

someone could get eaten, too stressed out, and the sharing of parasites and germs. never house a wild caught animal with a captive bred animal

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

I will go even farther and say not to house any animal with any other animal. The only time that you will find snakes together in the wild is if there is limited basking space and when they hibernate. They are not social animals and do no need friends.

As for keeping wild snakes, it is something that shouldn't just be done on a whim because you found one. I think that it's human nature to want to bring home and care for little things that we find in the out of doors. If you want a wild snake, the best thing to do would be to research what species of snakes you have in your area and then decided if there are any that you would like to have as pets (there obviously are or this post wouldn't be here). You should then do research as to what kind of husbandry requirements the snake has to make sure that you could care for it in captivity. After all this is done, and a habitiat is set up in your house for the snake, you would then, and only then, go out and look for a specimen of the species you are after. If you have any specific questions as to how to increase your chances to find snakes, let me know and I will give you some ideas.

12. mango95

mango95 New Member

Wow thanks for all the info! I will do my research then and i do have an extra tank that i could use.

13. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

Good! Definately do your research before bringing home a wild snake, and good luck!

14. teemarie

teemarie Embryo

Keep in mind that in many areas it is illegal to capture anything from the wild.
    I live in Sacramento, CA and volunteer at a nature center; my boss there told me it's a full felony to take from the park.
    Make sure to check your local laws and see what's what there.

15. BP36

BP36 New Member

most wild caught snakes that small like ringnecks, garters and soo on can be offered worms, small fish in a dish or tadpole/frogs

16. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

I'd say the first step is identifying the species, and making sure it's legal to HAVE this animal. It may not be legal to collect and keep in your State. It may be a protected species.

We cannot tell from your photograph--it is too small, the lighting is poor, and it's blurry. There's no anyone can tell anything beyond it being a colubrid (not venomous). It may be a brown snake, a young ratsnake of some kind...there are several other possibilities.

This is important, because without knowing what species it is, you can't know what type of setup it requires to stay healthy, and you won't know what it eats. Keeping it with an existing snake is out of the question--it will need its own secure cage with its own heat source.
    It will also need to see a vet to be checked for parasites, which need to be eliminated if it is going to survive long term in captivity.

Brown snakes eat worms, slugs, and other small invertebrates. Young rats snakes may start on lizards or baby rodents, and eat rodents as adults. Garters eat fish, frogs, and worms.