So I was thinking: Crestie Gecko?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by bL00dEd_h00diE, Jul 13, 2005.

1. bL00dEd_h00diE

bL00dEd_h00diE New Member

oh god I didn't know there was a 2nd page either. xD I was thinking "It's eating my posts!"

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bL00dEd_h00diE

Hey thanks a lot. Maybe I'll check it out. Shipping isn't much of a problem for me I'm actually starting to think maybe it's the only way. But I'll check out the site you gave me.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bL00dEd_h00diE

I have enough money to get one of the crested I see on here, but I don't have enough for the supplies. I dn't know when my parents will have the money for it soon or in a couple months from now since they're spending so much on fixing up our new house. I wouldn't worry too much b/c I'm sure I'll get the money but I have to see who i can pick money off first, lol. I wouldn't think of purchasing the crestie without having a plan for how I'll get the supplies before-time. So most of my concern is to when I can be getting the right things for him before I decide to ship him here. I'm about to email the breeder and ask about the crestie's age. He's a harlequin, and uber cute. ^^

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bL00dEd_h00diE

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

Yea make sure you buy all the set-up first then the crestie. That way you have everything and not run out of money. Sounds like you are doing your reasearch and thinking everything through.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bL00dEd_h00diE

Yeah thats for sure. Thanks, I'm really trying my hardest. ^^ I've checked so many sites out today, I'm exhausted! But it was well worth it I tell 'ya! ^_~

12. bL00dEd_h00diE

Right now I'm adding up the total of the supplies just to get an idea of how much everything would be. So far it's 65.73 for most of it, not too bad. -smirk-

13. bL00dEd_h00diE

Welp, I've had some success except I can't find a decent 20 gal tank anywhere just yet. Right now the total is 82.39 which is pretty much everything besides the tank.. ^^
    I've gotta crash. I'll see you guys tomorrow! ^.~

14. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

Thats not too bad price wise. If thats the guy you want to get he is beautiful.

15. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

I saw that one at the WPB show last month... he is a beaut... almost bought him myself, but was not ready for him...

16. bL00dEd_h00diE

Aww, I'm so happy I found him! ^^
    Bryan what do you mean you didn't have the stuff for him or you just saw him and thought to buy him but you knew you didn't have the stuff?

17. bL00dEd_h00diE

btw, is a reptarium better but more expensive? They're selling a 38 gal. Reptarium for just $28.99. Is that a better buy? I'm going out today to see how much the cost over the internet and online are. Plus I'll need to anyway just so I can be prepared for the cost of his food and the supplements he'll need.

18. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

I have a tank, but it's not setup yet, so I didn't buy him...

I've spent months researching... I'm now gathering what I need for a setup based on this research... when it's up and running (acceptable environmental conditions), I'll then buy my crestie, making a selection from what's available at the time...
    There is no rush, since this is a 10yr commitment...

19. bL00dEd_h00diE

Aw.. Well, I'm sure you'll be getting all the things you'll need sometime around. :3 And I'm sure he'll be happy, too. Whichever one you may buy..
    Hey I have a question, are reptariums "okay"? I found one for 38 gal. And it's cheaper than most I've seen this big. I checked over the things I'll need plus the reptarium and the set ups like plants and stuff so now it all totals up to $131.11

20. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

For cresties, screen or glass has been debated quite a bit...
    Personally, I think it has a lot to do with the climate in the room that it will be kept in...
    Glass is going to help keep in heat and humidity, but will have less air flow, leading to potential mold problems...
    Screened will have good air flow, but not hold humidity as well... the temp will swing quicker with room temps and take more to keep consistant...
    So if you have it in a room that has a good climate already, and will only need a little misting to get the humidity up a bit, I would go with screened, since it will be easier to keep it clean and fresh... plus they're cheaper, and lighter...

I'm going to use a 17gal long tank, stood on its end, with a screen front... this is only because it was given to me for nothing, and I feel I can make it work for a small first crestie... in the future, I can see getting something bigger, that is all screen...

21. bL00dEd_h00diE

heh, cool thats good news. I was thinking on it while I was out, seeing that it's much cheaper to get a 38 gal. reptarium and not have to buy extra tanks when I decide later in the future to get more cresties. I'm ordering it along with other things from reptilesupply.com
    I bought my crestie's food today. Several varieties of baby food and Crested Gecko Meal Replacement Powder. I also got an application to work at Smart and Final! ^^ I really want to work this out, so I need enough money to last me. Hopefully I can handle it along with school. I'm thinking I'll be able to purchase him in late August or mid September.. I'm thinking I should call him Smaug. ^^

22. bL00dEd_h00diE

23. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan!

"Smaug".... because?

24. sycochika

sycochika New Member

I'm assuming because she's getting him in september/august

sm=september
    aug=august

25. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

You're obviously thinking clearer than I today ;-)