Something for a 10-gallon?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by RedEarSliders, Aug 30, 2009.

1. RedEarSliders

RedEarSliders Embryo

Hey all!

I recently gave away my RedEarSlider, and I moved my community fish to his old tank. Now I've got a free 10-gallon set-up, and I'm getting ideas on what to do with it. Are there any snakes that could live in a 10-gallon comfortably?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. RedEarSliders

RedEarSliders Embryo

PS. I didnt mean for their whole life, just as a hatchling to juvenile.

I want a relatively small snake (Less than 5ft), that I could handle. I dont want to walk in public with it or anything, just would like it to ride around on my arm. I've been looking at BPs, but Im afraid of the size-issue, I dont want to carry around a 5-foot 25lb snake :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

im a pretty weak girl and i dont have any issues holding my ball, but ellie isnt even 2 years old yes so she still has alot of growing ahead of her.
    corns and milks are pretty easy going snakes assuming you spend enough time with them. with the exception of my eastern milk snake i havent met an aggressive milk yet.
    though i will say dont count out balls just yet. try going to a reptile shop or show and ask to hold an adult. balls are pretty chill snakes that enjoy just snuggling up to you while you watch tv, corns and milks on the other hand like to explore and get away for the most part
    i will always suggest ball pythons though so im a bit biased. i adore my ellie to death. i love the lazy personality of heavy built snakes.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. RedEarSliders

RedEarSliders Embryo

Yea, I've been looking at them ALOT lately, they seem really cool, I think I've decided!

Two more quick questions-

Has anyone gotten salmonella from any snake? (I know people have, just kind of a "feeler" question)

Are pet stores reliable in sexing these guys? The local PetSupermarket around here has a great supply of reps, and the guys actually know what they're talking about, but I'm worried about getting a female.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Shanna66

depends on the employee you ask. ive met both idiots and very smart people who work at pet stores. just never assume that they have trained someone to sex a snake.
    if you get a ball python then most likely it will be a male
    also the only way i can think of someone getitng sick from their snake is if they touch the poop then lick their fingers, or if you just never clean the enclosure. salmonella is transferred from poo from what ive read and usually isnt too big of a concern among adults since we know to wash our hands.
    all in all as long as you wash your hands after holding almost any reptile you should be fine

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

hey, you'll love what i've always asked and answers! you'll love pacific boa! you can keep one for the rest of their life! they only grow to about 70 -85 cm long and their nocturnal arboreal. they are able to be given pinkies or house geckos or live lizards or frog too! :) oh, the latin name is candoia carinata..

12. RedEarSliders

RedEarSliders Embryo

Change of plans! I just FINALLY found someone to take my Plecostamous, so I moved my community fish to the 10-gallon! The 30-gallon is now open for reps!

I went by a LPS today, and held a juvenile BP........Coolest creature ever! Im excited about getting one, but they are 75$ around here :) !

13. Shanna66

i so would have taken your pleco lol, they are my favorite fish, though right now i only have a bristlenose in my 20gal, i would love to get one of the big ones if i ever get a tank big enough ^.^

i got my juvie ball for $80 at petco. ive seen adult normal females for $20 at reptile shows before though. i dont regret getting ellie though lol, she is the dumbest animal in the world but that just makes me love her more.

14. LittleMick

LittleMick Member

Dumb but fun huh!!

Hey, Red, what Plec did you have? When you said FINALLY, sounds like you had a large one. In my community tank I have a Tiger Plec and a cople of Common Bristlenose Plecs, my Bristlenoses have just had a couple of babies.

Good luck with the Python.

Mick