Starting Over: Help me learn more about Green Iguanas

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by bL00dEd_h00diE, Jul 11, 2005.

1. bL00dEd_h00diE

bL00dEd_h00diE New Member

Alright, to explain. My baby iguana Tiny was killed today b/c of overheating. I kept him in a slightly large container with holes in the lid. You have to understand that getting Tiny was completely unexpected. My friend's dad found him and cught him in a small-ish tree that was blown down b/c of hurricane Dennis. He gave the iguana to me and I knew nothing about them so I starting to do some reserch while keeping him in the stupid container. PLease forgive me I know it was stupid.
    So, I fed him chopped romaine lettuce, broccoli, kiwis, a very small amount of white rice was added to the salad I made for him before he died, and I forget what those purple strips are called in salad mixes in the bags you get from the store, and carrots. All finely chopped smaller than his head like I read.

So far I know what they eat: Fruits and veggies, NO PROTIEN such as crickets, chicken, pizza, or any cheeses at all b/c it'll give them kidney damage and such. And no commercial bought iguana food, cat food, or dog food either. Spinach shouldn't be fed to them either b/c it downs they're calcium I think it was..

Also what I learned the hard way.. Don't leave an iguana unattended out in the sun or any other animal. And plastic and glass rise temps very high.

Also I know that grooming an iguana, stroking them lightly, and leaving your hand in their tank without touching them allows them to trust you more since they think of us as predators until their time comes to trust you.

Water should be kept with them at all times, my mistake also, the container wasn't big enough for a small owl or saucer. And that water should be shallow b/c baby iguana's tend to drown in their water most times if there's too much.

I found out that the smaller the iguana the harder it is to find them. And that eventually they think to come out for warmth when they're left missing in your livingroom. ^^

They hide near windows, cabels (they like the warmth) as well as refrigerator vent since those're warm too. Also in small crevices in furniture, between clothes in the closet. High places, and also places where the sun is shining.

The greatest thing they love to do is bask but of course I also learned the hard way, that they need a place to get away from the heat so they don't get too hot and can cool down a bit. Of course the container was too small..

So I think thats about it. I'd like to learn a lot more about them and do more research and be able to ask more questions. Please help me! o_o

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bL00dEd_h00diE

I'm going to bed, feel free to give suggestions and more tips, please? Good night. :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bL00dEd_h00diE

Thanks a lot! ^^ I terribly appreciate it.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bL00dEd_h00diE

My sister and my step-dad were joking about Tiny "Why didn't you eat him?" and, "His name was tiny b/c he had a "tiny" life" hahahaha.. I took him super seriously I can't take jokes about him. I've only had him for two days but still I really felt he was part of me in some way. *sigh*

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bL00dEd_h00diE

I have a question. Caging or tanking..?

12. nomad85

nomad85 Member

check out http://www.anapsid.org/ you can also get the book iguanas for dummies by mellisa kaplan which is an excellent resource. I got it used from www.amazon.com for 6 bucks:) Before you get another iguana you may want to get some expirience with some other reptiles, Iguanas are a huge commitment. Plus they get huge and you have to have space for them, not really a beginner reptile. I'd recomend a crested or leopard gecko. Maybe a bearded dragon, but they are harder to care for as well. Whatever you do keep researching, and ask lots of questions.

13. bL00dEd_h00diE

Thanks, really. I didn't think they'd be so tough, I actually really like them. But, I dunno I guess I could go ahead and try some other critters out before then. Thanks a lot though. I'm sure I'll realize more that they're uber tough once I feed my brain more and more research. :3

14. bL00dEd_h00diE

What about chinese water dragons?

15. nomad85

nomad85 Member

an australian water dragon would be a better choice.

16. bL00dEd_h00diE

Alright, so, I've decided finally.. I want to get a crestie gecko ^______^

17. bL00dEd_h00diE

I'd like to help them become more popular b/c they definately deserve it since they're so cool, also they have a wide variety of morphs and colorations, they might be not as expensive not sure I haven't really checked.. But they're low maintenence and easier to handle and tamer than leo's, so I've read from the care sheets here. So I suppose I'll make a new forum in the crested gecko forum later. I have to start cooking. O_O;;

18. sycochika

sycochika New Member

I'm getting cresties from a breeder and they're costing me between 100-150 EACH

19. bL00dEd_h00diE

I'm fixing to get a gecko and he's only 70!!!!

20. bL00dEd_h00diE

and a HARLEQUIN at that! ^.^ And there he is!
    [​IMG]

21. bL00dEd_h00diE

I'm getting him shipped down here from Sticky Feet Exotics :)
    I sent the breeder a long email a bunch of questions, like his age, his personality, etc. And talked about my plan of how to make this work out. I got a job applications today so I can work to earn more money to take good care of him. I have the money for him and the shipping but now I need enough money for all of the supplies, which is over $100