STILL laying eggs...

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by hobotramp, Nov 16, 2002.

1. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Walked into the room today and found Hobo buried head first in the soil about halfway up her belly (head first). Pretty sure she was leaving us another egg and probably another quite soon judging by the looks of her. Quite the sight to see! :cool:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Wow. So many eggs...

If I were you, if you haven't done already, I'd split 'em up. Brown anoles, unlike greens, will breed year-round as long as the conditions are good (so you must be doing something right, lol).

Green anoles are seasonal breeders, hence the massive takeover of green anole territory by browns here in Florida.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

We've never had them in the same enclosure. Each of them have their own home (even the babies). She's still laying eggs from whenever she mated BEFORE I caught her at the end of July. Must have mated on the truck coming from Florida! She should be just about done. One of the shots I'm putting in the gallery is of Hobo down in the dirt.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Wow, then that's a lot of eggs just for one mating!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Yeah, I lost count, but I think it was up to about 16 before the most recent. Unfortuneately, most of the eggs didn't make it, but the ones we've found we've tried our best to keep going. As you can tell we have evidence of that with Anode and Cathode!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. reptile.breeder

reptile.breeder New Member

my big headed anoles must off layed around 20 eggs since if had them (9) months is that normale

12. reptile.breeder

sorry and should i separate them before she gets burnt out?

13. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I'd definitely separate them.

Hobotramp's female has never even been with a male since she got her. This is all from a breeding before she had her. The females of most species of reptiles can retain sperm, so if she's still laying after 20 eggs, I'd separate them.

She may still lay for weeks to come after you separate them, but it will prevent her from becoming impregnated again when she runs out of sperm to fertilise the eggs with.

She'll need to be getting lots of calcium too. Obviously the conditions in the enclosure are good for her to lay eggs in, so rather than setup a whole new enclosure for her, and stress her out with a move, I'd take the male out, so she's still in familiar territory, and can lay her eggs in relative peace.

14. reptile.breeder

jesus all them eggs from her last mate thats alot just imagin if it were like that in our life lol

15. natashaccollins

natashaccollins Member

I herd that a lot of reptiles after breeding can keep unused sperm in their bodies for upto 5 years and breed without a male. I know that is true for a lot of snakes but I am not sure about lizards. If that is the case there could be a lot more eggs to come!

16. nathanjburt

nathanjburt New Member

Wow you got quite a lizard there hobotramp. Hope she doesn't become to much of a handful :(

17. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, brown anoles can reproduce year-round providing they have adequate conditions.

Green anoles have a strict season. This is how the brown anole has managed to all but wipe out the green anole here in Florida.

Where the green anole can produce maybe 8-12 offspring per year on average, the brown could produce 30 or 40, and browns can hide from predators a lot better than greens can.

18. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

So far only three of the eggs survived, and of those only two offspring (Anode and Cathode) made it past their first couple of weeks. Let everyone know if there are more eggs when we're done the cleaning this weekend. She still seems in good spirits though... pale beige with 'a round belly' AGAIN!!! (She can stop anytime... it'll be a year since I caught her at the end of July, so we're more than halfway to the one year mark)'

19. reptile.breeder

i find it hard keeping eggs coz once one goes mouldy they all do i try to move them or change temp quick or humidity but you never know witch is to high or not enough do ? please give me some feed back on that coz ive still got eggs in the tub waiting to hatch

20. natashaccollins

natashaccollins Member

When I used to breed corns I always gave my eggs to either KMC (a college that has reptiles and much more) or to my herp. I only did this because I could never get the eggs to live. I always got the hatched corns back to do as I wished. But I was kind enough to let the herp or college keep some for their troubles (and that fact that I didn't have enough room to house 80 babies :()

21. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

What kind of eggs are they?

22. nathanjburt

nathanjburt New Member

If you are asking Tasha, corn snakes. If not ignore me lol :) :(

[Edited on 21/2/2003 by nathanjburt]

23. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

No problem Nathan, but I was referring to reptile.breeder's eggs.

24. reptile.breeder

my eggs are large headed anoles (anolis cybotes)