Still not so good at this....

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by UncleLunchBox, Mar 23, 2003.

1. UncleLunchBox

UncleLunchBox New Member

Hey guys,

I'm starting to have what seems like the same problem with Galadriel. She started eating well for about 2 or 3 weeks and now all of a sudden she stopped again. What's the deal here? I'm starting to get very aggitated here and I feel like a dumb***. I have absolutely NO idea what is causing this. Her tail is pretty darn fat again but it'll go down again if she's not eating. I guess I'll just have to bring her to another vet and see if I can get someone who knows what the heck they're talking about. I know I probably feed her crickets that are too large for her but I don't think that's the problem b/c she eats them when she wants. I even put a smaller one in there today but she grabbed it up into her mouth but then just spit it out and ended up not eating it. I found it interesting that she didn't go into her strike position when she grabbed it up either; she just stayed low to the ground and kinda grabbed it up in her mouth. Usually she'll get high and twitch her tail, then strike at it. It may be parasites I guess so I guess I better take her in. I just wanted to know what you guys think. Do they normally go through these periods where they'll eat then they won't then back to eating again? Maybe I feed her too much and she just doesn't get hungry for a while. She's about 5-6 inches and when she eats I feed her like 7-8 large crickets at the most. I know they're a little too big for her but she was gobblin' them down pretty good so I thought it was ok. I just wish I wouldn't have to be dealing with this all the time and I could just kick back and enjoy her and get on a good schedule. But that's how animals go. Let me know if you guys can give me some input here. I'd appreciate it fellas ;) .

UncleLunchBox :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

How are the temps and substrate in her enclosure? I know with leos, they can eat little or nothing during the cold period, so if temp is down that could be it. What kind of substrate are you using and have you cleaned her enclosure lately?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

outside enclosure temps also affect their eating, if they are inside in any a/c too.

Do you have temp gauges in the enclosure and what are their readings?

Are they going to the bathrooom normally?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LizardGuy1313

LizardGuy1313 New Member

What substrate is she on? if she is on sand it could be impaction. But I really advise you to take her in just to be safe. Mine has never gone on a no food time, so I don't think it is normal. :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. UncleLunchBox

UncleLunchBox New Member

Well, she seems to be using the bathroom normally I guess. I have her on cage carpet right now. I had her on paper towels but got tired of changing them out and it was just a big hassle. I cleaned her cage like 4-5 days ago and I usually clean it at least every 1-2 weeks. I use a vinegar and water solution that I soak all her furniture in and then I put her in her CritterKeeper with some moss until I finish with everything. I wipe down her tank with the v/w solution applied with a rag then I wipe it again with a rag with clean water then I dry it with a dry rag. I rinse all her funiture with clean water so she isn't irritated with the smell of the vinegar. Another question; is it okay if she happens to eat a little Bed-A-Beast when she eats because I notice that she gets a bit in her mouth when she snags the crickets. I take it that it's ok b/c it looks all natural. Anyways, thanks for ya'll's time.

UncleLunchBox :)