Still not sure what snake to get

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by 1cutegecko, Nov 9, 2007.

1. 1cutegecko

1cutegecko Embryo

I know there are tons of posts about what is a good beginner snake, but I still haven't really figured out what would be best for me. I'm looking for a snake that would fit in a 20 gallon long tank (I already have the tank) I want a snake that will be calm and wrap around my arm. The snakes I have heard of that are common are the corn snake and ball python...the corn likes to move a lot and the Ball python can be a picky eater (from what I hear). Any other small boas or pythons that will work for this situation? Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. sb1127

sb1127 New Member

Maybee a Kenyan Sand Boa, but there arent many snakes that will be comfortable living their adult lives in a 20 long. Here are some suggestions; Rosy Boa - 3ft, Children's Python- 2.5 to 3ft, Spoted Python 3 to 4 ft, western hognose- 3 to 3.6 ft. All of these snakes should be in a minimum of 36" long cages as adults. Your 20 gallon will be great for young snakes, but you will need to upgrade eventually.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. onsidlives

onsidlives Member

I have two BPs and they have never had problems eating. They are wonderful and probably my favorites in my collection.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

As far as tank size goes, the perimeter needs to be at least twice as long as the snake is, or at least that is the generally accepted rule of thumb.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Retheat

Retheat New Member

I have never ever heard that one before.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

It's 1 square foot for every foot of snake. If you are going to end up with a 5-6' snake you would want a cage that was at least 3' x 2', a 7-8' snake should have a viv that is at least 4' x 2' etc. Of course it is a guideline, some will do well with a slightly smaller amount of space and some would really do better with more.
    There are some that do keep the smaller snakes sb1127 mentioned in 20 longs, and it works out mathematically, but it still seems cramped.

12. 1cutegecko

1cutegecko Embryo

So then I would probably be better just trading the 20 gallon out for a bigger one? What is a good size for the ball python or other snakes mentioned above? 30 gallon? Ive never heard of the Rosy Boa or the sand boa. I will have to look into those. Are they hard to find in pet stores?

13. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

I have seen a few different pet stores with rosys. If you ever intend to breed something cool about boas is that they give live birth. Ball Pythons and corn snakes are my 2 favorite snakes, although I still like other snakes too. I don't really like anything too much bigger or smaller and I also love the tons of different patterns and morphs that you can get with balls and corns. As far as the perimeter comment, you dont want the snake to be longer than the length of the front and one side combined.

14. sb1127

sb1127 New Member

Roseys and KSBs are pretty common and can be found in stores, but you would be better off buying from a reptile show or breeder. Hang on to your tank if you get a young snake, and just upgrade as your snake grows. My Children's Python is about 3 ft and is comfortable in a 40 gallon breeder with demensions of 36l x 18dx 18h. Your cage should be big enough to allow the snake to streatch out to its full length. IMO an adult ball should be in a minimum of a 4ft long cage. Check out http://www.rosyboa.com/photogallery.htm for Rosy Boa info.

15. mattdlite

mattdlite New Member

a male rosy boa should be ok in a 20 long, and i would look into western hognose snakes, theyre rally cool. they might be alittle active but not too much. they are active during the day sp ull see them out of their hides. and males usually stay about 1 1/2- 2 feet, so a 20 long is fine for them too

16. 1cutegecko

1cutegecko Embryo

I'm actually really interested in a Ball python now. What is the recommended size tank? I hear you can put them in a rubbermaid container too..what size should that be? I would rather just get the tank size it needs as an adult, and let it grow into it. Ill probably end up selling the 20 gallon and getting the larger enclosure. I probably wont be getting the snake for a few months or so, but I figure I can do a lot of research on them during that time.

17. onsidlives

onsidlives Member

I have mine in 40g breeder lock tops from petsmart or petco.

18. mattdlite

mattdlite New Member

ya id say around 36x18

19. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

i'd say a candoia carintata is a good snake, its really calm and friendly, and it only grows to the max of 2.5 feet, and only 1.5cm diameters.
    nice for a begginer and for small rooms.

20. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

You are right, BPs and corns are probably going to be your main choices. You could also go for a king or milksnake; they are very small and snappy, but I think their bites don't hurt at all; don't even break the skin, from what I hear.

I have a Ball Python. They are great pets; but I will be honest, they are finicky. So far (I've had my adult girl for 9 months), she hasn't fasted until recently, probably because of the breeding season. It's been about a month; if she doesn't eat for another few months I will begin to worry and maybe take her to the vet, but several month fasts are normal this time of year and not taxing to a healthy snake.

About the 20 gallon..... there are mixed opinions about this. Some people say you could keep a male (smaller than females) Ball Python in a 20 gallon its whole life, but I personally think an adult should be in no smaller than a 40 gallon.

Ball Pythons are really sweet once they build trust in you. And if they're captive bred. Wild caught BPs are more likely to fast for long periods of time and to be sick. But really, I would reccommend a BP, no doubt about it!

Great Ball Python caresheet: http://www.kingsnake.com/ballpythonguide

Whatever you choose, have loads of fun! Snakes rock! Oh, another thing, you probably know this, but NEVER EVER EVER buy a snake from a chain pet store! They are mostly imported, sick, don't eat, loaded with mites/ticks, and can be aggressive. Find a local breeder or vivarium.

Have fun! :rolleyes: