Storrs Monitor?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by mthorpe, Apr 28, 2006.

1. mthorpe

mthorpe Well-Known Member

Anyone got any info on these guys? apparently they are rare, ive got a chance of investing in a breeding trio, so depending on the care required, i may make the investment, and start breeding the lil guys. they are two females and a male, about a year old. apparently they should be breeding within 3-6 months, i was talking to the guy who bred my beardie today, and he said that he had them for sale, as the trio. im interested, but doing some research before. i havnt got room for an ackie, and apparently they will be okay in a 24x18x24" viv - 2ft x 1 1/2ft x 2ft

thanks for any info you can give me.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

if you dont have room for an ackie then you wont have room for 3 storrs. they are small but still need space

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ganoderma

Ganoderma New Member

go for it they are pretty cool little monitors. It's the incubation that seems to be a pain, if you get eggs.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mr~python

mr~python Member

ive been researching ackies and found out a lil about storrs. ive found out that they are really aggressive and ive read that they are NOT good beginner monitor. ive read that you'd be better off getting experienced wih ackies first. thats just what ive read though, i hope you find out more about them.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mthorpe

these guys didnt seem aggressive when i was in the shop yesterday, they werent tame, but they werent aggressive. they just ran away... im thinking about it, possibly breeding them, its just the cost which is worrying me... they are real expensive... but if i can get them to breed ill be able to sell the babies for alot... ive been offered £200 per baby by the guy i would be buying them off... but they are £500 each, plus housing. its just a case of getting the money together.. id love to do it, and im still thinking about it, i wanted to get an ackie, but dont have room for them...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. crocdoc

crocdoc New Member

1. If you don't have room for an ackie, then you will not have room for three storrs (as someone said above).
    2. No one is claiming that storrs are aggressive towards people, but towards each other. This makes breeding tricky if you've had no experience breeding monitors. If they are out of your price range and you are hoping to recoup your losses by breeding them, yet have never bred monitors before, you may be asking for more pressure than you need.

12. mthorpe

yeah, im not going to buy the storrs, they were taken down from sale anyway, they started to breed, so he kept them, lol..

ill probably end up buying a storrs when the babies hatch, but just buy one, instead of a trio, and not breed them.

13. mthorpe

... bump

eggs laid today :(

ill get a baby once they hatch :D