Substrate Hunt

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by zayelskeeper, Apr 12, 2004.

1. zayelskeeper

zayelskeeper Embryo

The Hunt for the best subrstrate for a HUGE(room sized) cage continues.....i cant seem to decide on how im gonna work substrate with my retic...she is increasing in size DAILY...and i have a full display room for her....one side of a room has been glassed off and she has it all sooner or later...my problem is substrate....i HATE REPTI bark...i get splinters every time...and i seem to be having GREAT luck with a product called Reptile litter....made with Eucalyptus...but the bags are small and the moisture level is not easy to maintain....opinions would be welcomed PLZ HELP...thanks in advance...

Ciao
    Josh

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Have you looked at Cypress Mulch? It's around $3 a bag and can be found at most walmarts and home improvement stores.
    Another option is news paper... it wont look as nice but will be easier to keep clean and odor free.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I think stormy has pretty much answered your question. I can't think of anything else that would do the trick as well. Could you do part of the cage floor in a tile or laminate flooring and the other half in bedding? It would be pretty easy to clean and I'm sure you could find something that looks like stone. Plus the retic won't have to be on the same substrate all the time. Other than that, cypress is your best bet for cost and easy cleaning and moisture.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kel

kel Embryo

i've had very good luck with vinyl flooring. you can buy remnants at home depot and its not too hard to put down. its permanent and easy to clean and disenfect. i haven't heard of using cypress until i came to this website and i'm going to try it.