Substrate

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Kingkier, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Kingkier

Kingkier New Member

Hey guys,
    At the mo i'm using a mixture of saw dust and kitchen roll as substrate and they go in the garden reguarly but i was just wondering could i tile their viv like people with leopard geckos do???????
    Any help or advice would be great
    CHEERS

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

Saw dust?! Definately ditch the saw dust.

What are you keeping them in? Size, is it an aquarium? a tub? etc.
    If you're using a turtle/tortoise table, then yes - you can tile it. But it would be best to provide a dig box in one end.

If you're using a tub it might be better to just use a soil and sand mixture that a lot of people use.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Kingkier

Kingkier New Member

Hi,It's 6ft by 4ft,there about a year old i bought them last year,Cheers for your advice Strange_Wings,So you reckon a mixture of sand and mud would be good?????Play sand i take it??The thing i've got them in i made myself,It's a wooden base the wood goes up about 5ins then it's metal mesh.
    Any more advice i would appreciate i got them checked over a month ago and the vet said there in great health.
    Cheers

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

Not mud, you'd have a horrible mess if you tried mixing in mud. :)

Yes, the washed and shifted play sand will work and top soil is just the plain sterile soil mix that you get at any garden center (probably near the sand :D ). Make sure there are no fertilizers, perlite, or styrofoam pieces in it.

Since the bottom is wood you could tile that and cut out holes to hold your water dishes, food dishes, and dig box. Depending on how you built it of course. This basically http://www.unc.edu/~dtkirkpa/stuff/table.html

No idea if you live in the US or not, but Lowes has some very nice textured natural colored 12"x12" ceramic tiles. I think the price was $2-3 per tile. You'll need to have them cut the tiles for you unless you have or know someone with a wetsaw. :D If you decided to go the permanent tile route, you may also want to read up a bit on grouts and sealers needed.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Kingkier

Kingkier New Member

Ok cheers very much for your help,I will keep you posted.Thanks again
    Best Wishes

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Kingkier

Kingkier New Member

I've put them on top soil and sand now,I'm just worried about impaction??????I've sifted them both but would i have to worry this?I guess in the wild they would eat little bits by mistake so there shudn;t b a problem i guess???????I'm having to change the water like 3 times a day now coz of the contimation from the top soil/sand mix.I'm thnkin of puttin the food and water bowls on a tile to help this.
    Any comments/Advice as always welcome
    Cheers