Sulcata Tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by bonx8e, Sep 24, 2008.

1. bonx8e

bonx8e Embryo

:( I have a big male sulcata tortoise that lives in my back yard and winter is coming and I needed to know about housing him in the winter. He has a big shed like you can buy at Home Depot, the walls and ceiling are insulated with subwalls so he can not chew. Large plastic heat pad for underneath and the biggest heat bulb lamp for above heat. Can he be aloud to go out in the dead of winter to use the restroom and still not get too cold that he will not return to his house and also how cold can ti get in his shed where his two heat sources are before I need to worry. I know the rest of the shed will be very cold away from the heat pad and the heat lamp. His floor is raised off the ground and also covered in vinyl for easy clean up. Afraid of fire with the heat lamp so do not know what else to put down, sand is not safe and hay can catch on fire. He will have access to go out of his shed iin the winter because i am putting swinging door up so he can go in and out as well. Please help : )