taming yoshi

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by lisa owens, May 24, 2012.

1. lisa owens

lisa owens Well-Known Member

ok as some of you know i got yoshi from someone that was basically clueless on caring for him. the ladies 14 year old son was given yoshi has a present. the boy was scared of him and would not handle him. well the first few days i could hold him and he would set fairly calm and close his eyes when i would pet him on his head. now he will wiggle and fight and sometimes when i reach in to get him he will puff up and open his mouth like he is going to bite me. what do i need to do?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Just be persistent and keep handling him daily (except for when he is shedding). Growing beardies often go through a "grumpy teenager" phase, but with frequent interactions and patience they almost always get over it relatively quickly. You can try hand feeding him his favorite foods to get him to associate you with good things. Petting and soothing voices can also help keep them calm. But like I said, the biggest factor is persistance and patience. Good luck!

By the way, even if he tries to bite you, a beardie that size won't hurt you. The shock is the worst part. =)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lisa owens

that is good to know about it not hurting if he does bite cause when he eats his roaches and they crunch i am thinking is that the roaches or teeth?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Haha, yep, what you're hearing is mostly the exoskeleton being crunched up. =)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lisa owens

i like watching him he is quick Toby is slow and stalks like a lion and yoshi just grabs it lol

Cammy likes this.