Temperment Question

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by jmm, Aug 27, 2005.

1. jmm

jmm Embryo

I don't have an Iguana but my husband and I have been thinking about it. However we have run into an overwhelming number of stories about young igs dying in their first year do to poor husbandry and also people having problems with aggression.
    So what is the deal exactly? Are iguanas hard to keep healthy, do they get sick often? Is there so little wiggle room that can't tolerate mistakes in husbandry?
    And about temperment, I'm just wondering if the issue of temperment is actually inappropriate expectations? Let me explain, it has been my experience that people that own monitors do not post a lot about problems with aggression in their animals mostly I think because they know going into it that monitors tend to be an aggressive animal. However in my experience that is not the case with iguanas. I often hear of people surprised and dissmayed (sp?) about iguana aggression. So are we dealing with a misguided perception that iguanas are friendly and what they really are is somewhere closer in temperment to a monitor than most people realize? Just my thoughts. This is not ment to be offencive so if it is I'm sorry, I'm just trying to get some questions answered before I bring an animal into my home. I'm trying to get to the heart of the matter on aggression and not be caught ill prepaired.

thank you for your time!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. denise38

denise38 New Member

I have basically become the mom of my sons iguana..... she is now 3 years old and I have to say she is the most loving and social thing. I am still educating myself on them myself, but I think the more time you spend with them when they are a baby ensures how they are as they get older, granted I have heard they go through changes and its always going to be their instincts to get aggressive at times and bite or tail whip. when Kizee was little she would bite, but we just let her know who was in charge and then we learnt that they just have certain times that they like to be left alone and untouched so they can have their space. I have heard that most get aggresive because of the lack of attention, so I will work hard to love on her everday. In my personal thoughts I think the lack of wanting to truly take care of one properly and educate yourself on them is the reason they may die, or if they are maybe sick to begin with. I think the people that can take them on when they are neglected or in poor health are amazing. ! anyhow.. given a few moments during the day... I can love on mine 24/7 and she loves it. I swere this is from constant loving from when she was young. mine is very smart too... I work hard to teach her things and its amazing how she understands alot already. I read the stories too and I just keep thinking.... either its from good training and love or that I just got lucky. ! guess I will never know.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. General48

General48 Member

like all reptiles each iggy has their own temperment, although males do tend to become more aggresive when they reach maturity.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Breakfast226

Breakfast226 Embryo

I currently own a baby male (at least we think he is, sometimes it can be hard to determine gender at a young age) green iggy. His las owners we're neglegent so when we got him he had a horrible temperment. I agree with denise, because after making sure i spent time with him everyday, taking him on walks (on nice warm days of course), and lovin on him ( he loves havin his nose and spines rubbed, heh) his temperment has improved greatly. He still tail whips from time to time, but only when he just wants to be left alone. Hope this helped and good luck.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Darklightangel013

Darklightangel013 New Member

I agree with the aboves, most of it depends on how much time you spend with them. Iguanas are very smart when they are comfortable and calm. If you are willing to spend time with one and let it get used to you and it's surroundings, the iguana will have a nicer temperment. Iguanas like any other animals have their own personalities and that also effects their temperments. Iguanas are kind of like cats in the sense that they are usually independent and like to do their own thing. They like to do what they think is best for them, so if you want the iguana to do something, you kind of have to make it feel like that is the best thing for it to do. The more comfortable they are, the tamer they seem. Iguanas do get moody during breeding season and each iguana is different. Some are mildly aggressive and others are very aggressive. Just beware of the signs of aggression and always be alert around them. As for younger iguanas dying, like said above in the other posts, it's usually from poor care prior to your beginning and it is already sick. Your best bet is to do as much research as possible before getting one and making sure you have everything set up before you take one home. Not everything comes out perfectly, but try to match things as close as you can. Once you get into the swing it isn't hard. It will be a lot of cleaning and timed things. Light schedules and food times as well as potty training will have to be put into balance. I currently have 2 iguanas and they are doing well. Also find a vet in your area and when you get the iguana bring it in for a checkup to make sure it is healthy.
    This site has lots of good information, but here are some more sites to check out. A good thing to do is check multiple sites for information.

http://www.iguanaden.org/main.htm
    http://www.greenigsociety.org/careinfo.htm
    http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/taming.htm (this site has info for several reptile species, this link will bring you to ig taming)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bruno

bruno Moderator

Breakfast and Darklightangel.

Please note this topic is now 4 years old and is probably irrelevant
    It is considered bad practice to refer to very old topics, unless it is ongoing.

12. ikermalli

ikermalli Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this forum is slow then, huh? :blink: