The true green/blue cresteds

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by todds_out, Jul 9, 2007.

1. todds_out

todds_out Embryo

Do you think this can be achieved?
    I would love to see a striking tropical green like on the day gecko.
    Seeing as crested geckos haven't been on the scene all that long compared to herps like the ball python and leopard gecko and have been produced in a great array of colors
    do you think in the future the blue pigments will come about in the crested gecko?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. geckofreak562

geckofreak562 Member

i'm kinda skeptical about this because cresties are mostly duller darker colors like tan, orange, darker green. but who knows? maybe one day it'll happen. that would be so awesome...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Like you said, they haven't been big in the hobby for as long as Leo's, corns & BPs, so who knows.. maybe sometime in the future.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jimski427

jimski427 New Member

i dont think they will be bright vibrant green. but i have a dark green fire... and have seen several rather green ones.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KirbZ

KirbZ Embryo

i read somewhere that their incapable of achieving blues and bright greens , genetically it isnt possiable .... well thats what i read . heres hoping !

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

LOL KirbZ! Wouldn't they look great! I doubt it would make emerald green colours, but im sure there will be new morphs in the future!!

12. geckofreak562

geckofreak562 Member

i think even a duller blue (even if it's not vibrant) would be super-cool

13. munchkin

munchkin Member

I honestly hope it never happens!

Most of the stunning morph colours in leos & beardies have been brought about by excessive inbreeding- which does in turn lead to health issues.

Having a "one off" natural genetic mutation is fine- but the breeders will continue to inbreed the offspring to try & reproduce the colour & continue it :(

14. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

Re: RE: The true green/blue cresteds

These my friend are not even close to dull ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But also not green :( (just wanted to take the opportunity to share the photos lol i love these pics)

15. jimski427

jimski427 New Member

RE: Re: RE: The true green/blue cresteds

they are dull compared to a day gecko ;)

16. Collard

Collard Member

Definitely not dull in my opinion. Day geckos are beautiful don't get me wrong but they can't match pattern like the harlys, pinstripes, moonglows, red dalmatians, ect. of a crestie. I do believe there are a lot of morphs that we have yet to see out there.

17. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

dumerillis_1986 - you need to cite where you got those photos. It is technically stealing to post another person's pics in a thread without stating where they came from. Just a heads up ;)

As for the green/blue crested, this is a topic that comes up all the time on the various crested forums. It is not possible, basically because cresteds do not have blue pigmentation. True green and blue cresties do not exist.

18. munchkin

munchkin Member

Yeah so someone would have to do some severe genetic messing around to ever get those colours if the pigment is not naturally present in cresties :D

19. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: The true green/blue cresteds

I realize this i was kind of beat when i posted that and was not thinking and when i went back to add where they came from someone had already replied so i could not edit. I deleted them tho so they should not be up anymore.

Thanks for the heads up tho

20. Collard

Collard Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: The true green/blue cresteds

That's not exactly true.

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=31&de=515395

21. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: The true green/blue cresteds

Yes it is actually. Like I said, true blue and green cresteds do not exist. You can get cresteds that due to light fragmentation through the various layers of the skin, give off the appearance of bluish or greenish, but they do not have the blue pigmentation needed to actually be blue or green. The ad you linked is gone, but you will see lots of people on kingsnake at any given time claiming that they have a true green or blue crested - this does not mean that it is actually a blue or green crested.

On Repashy's website, there is a great discussion of this. I believe that I am not allowed to link to it b/c of forum rules (not allowed to link to another forums if I am correct - mod correct me if I am wrong and I will post the link), but it outlines this argument nicely incase anybody wants to go search for it there.

22. todds_out

todds_out Embryo

thanks for your thoughts guys

23. Collard

Collard Member

I'm sure I can argue with you all day and neither one of us will budge, but the picture I linked you too is one of the most renown breeders of cresteds therefore I know it is true, he is also selling a moonglow which I'm sure you will tell me is not possible as well.

24. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I am not arguing anything, I am just stating the facts. Like I said, people argue over this all the time because (as I said before) there are cresteds out there that "look" bluish or greenish. The fact is that crested do not have the blue pigment in their skin. I am not an expert on crested genetics, I am just stating what I have read time and time again from the experts (and I consider Repashy to be the ultimate exprt, but that is my opinion).

The link you posted was to an ad that has been removed so I cannot comment on the crested you are talking about, all I can say is that I too have seen cresteds that look green and blue. Like I said, check out the thread on Repashy for more details. Personally I don't really care if there are green or blue cresteds, I was just stating what I have read about crested gentics.

A purple crested, now that I would shell out the big bucks for :D

25. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

Olive and purple/mauve tones exist in some cresties now, so whilst vivid colours aren't likely, it wouldn't surprise me if something in a softer/pastel shade may be possible at some point in the future.