Thermostat decisions: proportional, pulse, other?

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Mahama22, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Mahama22

Mahama22 New Member

Hey guys, I'm getting everything together to bring home my first snake and I could use some input regarding a good thermostat. I've read up a bit on my options, like the basic analog on/off controllers, more advanced proportional controllers, and pulse mechanisms as well. I'm planning on using a heating pad underneath a glass terrarium for heating (for a Dumeril's boa, if that's important). Do I need a fancier proportional thermostat? Should I go with a digital readout or is it overkill? Do you have any thermostats that you highly recommend? I'd like to keep the price tag at or below $50 but I'll entertain the thought of increasing that if a particular item is just that good. Thanks, and any other related advice or input would be equally appreciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

If you're a do-it-yourself type person you could get a regular UTH (under tank heater) and then install a regular dimmer, like this one from home depot:
    [​IMG]
    It's only $6 and you would just need wire cutters/strippers, electrical tape and a screwdriver to install it. You could get a box to mount it in and then mount that to the side of the tank set-up. Since this would be a manual switch you would have to set it all up a couple days before you get your new snake and fiddle with the temps to make sure everything is set to the right amount. But once you have it set you rarely have to change it - really only with the seasons. If you're looking to get something more fancy with day/night differentials you can look into getting the programmable rheostat (probably $50+).

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Mahama22

Mahama22 New Member

Awesome, I'll definitely consider that.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

To answer your 1st question instead of just giving you more options (sorry! lol) I would say that it's purely personal preference and budget. Yeah, a digital display is nice... but I haven't ever found it more convenient than a $10 digital probe thermometer...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Mahama22

Mahama22 New Member

Hahaha, no worries! I appreciate all answers, no matter how few. I actually ended up going with an analog thermostat anyway.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Oh nice! I usually go with the simpler option - less things to go wrong, lol.

12. Mahama22

Mahama22 New Member

Haha, fair enough. I just happened to get a little impatient in the pet store the other day and had an urge, lol. I was also concerned that my non-existent electrical know-how/DIY experience would somehow result in my boa spontaneously catching fire..

13. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

That would be terrible! sheesh, lol. How's the set-up working so far?

14. Mahama22

Mahama22 New Member

It's working. The only issue I've run into is slightly related. My baby sized UTH isn't man enough to keep a 90 degree hotspot running, so I've got the thermostat running a heat lamp and the UTH at ninety. The issue here is that the light clicks on and off since the thermostat isn't proportional, lol. So I think I need either a better UTH or an additional set of heat tape, heater, etc..

15. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I would go for a UTH or heat tape, the light bulbs going to blow soon with all the on and off :(

16. Mahama22

Mahama22 New Member

Yikes..thanks for the heads up.