Thinking about getting a crested gecko

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by ajlista, Aug 9, 2010.

1. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

Well as of now, i have 2 leopard geckos i got for my graduation.. My birthday is coming up in october and i really am trying to talk my parents into getting me one xD(Cant wait till im old enough to move out so i dont have to ask) So my question is, could someone leave me some vital information of the stuff i need to care for a crestie, such as substrate tank, and all the good stuff. I was actually looking at a crestie at petco yesterday when my aunt and uncle were buying doggy stuff, and the thing looked very healthy, he was going around in his tank sitting on braches, even though the leopard geckos were on sand and all of them were skinny and sick and one of them had mouth rot (Also if anyone can answer, iguanas are illegal in newyork...And they were selling them? this petco was in Long Island in lynbrook.) So yah i was suprised to see the crestie doing good. So if anyone can leave some info on what ill need that'll be great :(
    Thanks,
    Anthony

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Geckonator

Geckonator Embryo

Cresties are great. I only recently got one, they need no special lighting or heating, they thrive on Crested Gecko Diet (which is a powdered formula you just have to mix with water) and depending on what morph they can be really gorgeous. I currently have my juvenile male in a 20 Gal long tank with lots of leaves and vines for him to climb in. I was also looking in Petsmart (Canadian equivalent to Petco), they had some not-so-healthy ones for about 80$ and they were all plain green, when I did some more research, I found a place that sold all kinds of morphs, I ended up getting a Flame/Dalmatian cross for 120$ (I don't regret the price). For substrate I started by using paper towel and switched to a reptile carpet, Sand is definite no-no as is any granular substrate, most people recommend Eco-earth (coconut fiber) for older Cresties. My little guy in particular like to hide in leaves away from sunlight; Crested Geckos have no eyelids so they can't close their eyes when they sleep. Hope this helped in some way....Good luck !

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ajlista

Well this one looked pretty healthy for 40$ suprisingly

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Pima

Pima New Member

Just a note, I just got mine from petsmart 3 days ago. We LOVE it. its to young to know the sex, so we still havent picked a name. We previously had a leo and we enjoyed her company as well, unfortunatally, she was sick when we got her and had passed. So we went with a crested and i have to be honest, when we come home, we look for her/him hiding. Tank is kept at about 75-80 degrees, since our apartment is always hot, we leave the air on in that room for her...this is the only thing thats bad, but in winter, we will not have to worry at all. your in NY, im in NJ, you know the heat we have been getting!! we dont put our hands in the tank yet, but she is very curious. tonight we were watching tv and she was sitting on the bottom of the cage and just watching us. when i went near the tank, she followed me to watch what i was doing. She also moves from behind the leaves and vines when ever i try to get a picture of her..shes a strange lil animal, but we just love it!! Ours is in 20 Long with some leaves and vines to climb on and a stick. papertowels at bottom, water dish, 2 hides, and we mist her cage a few times daily. very simple, very easy, TONS of fun to watch her especially during dinner time. she goes to that side of her tank and just watches us while we watch her. Good luck with finding a healthy one. i would suggest petsmart over petco bc usually petsmart has a vet there. She was checked out earlier in the week before we got her.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ajlista

Thanks for the reply :(

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

All of that is great advice but if you're really looking to get a perfect crestie you should look into getting one from a breeder (there are tons of breeders that have websites or you can wait for the next reptile expo in your area). Its just always a good idea to purchase from a reputable breeder and know what you are getting rather than from a petshop like petco or petsmart. I know all the breeders I have ever bought from have always been there to help (along with member of this site) when I was having trouble with anything with their animals. Just food for thought :(

12. ajlista

Well, it says your from longisland ny? And i live in newyork, and im in longisland alot at my aunts house, so maybe can u pm me some information on sme reputable breeders?
    Thanks,
    Anthony :(

13. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Well there is the next NY reptile expo coming up Sept. 12th which is where you will find the best selection and deals and you can talk to the breeder themselves which is always very cool. Or the next Long Island one is in October... (I'm currently trying to update the calendar on here with a lot of the expos around the country...) Or of course you could just drool over the ones on breeders websites:

http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/index.p...category_id=172
    http://crestedgecko.com/index.php?page=available
    http://www.acreptiles.com/store/index.php?...category_id=170

Those are just some of the larger breeders that ship all over the US... a lot more have websites but the reptile expo is pretty awesome...

14. ajlista

Yah, thankyou for the info :( Im gunna wait around for the expo, i knew there was one in september ,i didnt know there was one in october? Ill have to find out when, it would be bettter if it was towards the end of the month, but ill see
    Thanks again :)
    Anthony :)

15. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

16. ajlista

THANKYOU!!! this is perfect the day after my birthday so ill have some money saved up :(