thinking of purchasing a columbian red tailed........

Discussion in 'Boas' started by CWGW1, Mar 20, 2004.

1. CWGW1

CWGW1 Embryo

so i own a 1.0 ball python about 3.5 feet and i'm looking to get a new snake. i went to Glades Herp today and saw a bunch of them, awesome looking snakes. wondering how difficult they are to handle in relation to a ball, feeding, etc.? or does anyone know where a good knowledgebase is on columbian reds? also, where do you reccomend purchasing one from?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ravnos

Ravnos New Member

It varies greatly from snake to snake, they all have their own little quirks, but in general, my boas are just as calm and handlable as my ball pythons - they tend to be a little more active and visible in the cage (ie, not always in their hide). Boas get quite a bit larger than any ball python, so that is definitely something to consider with handling and housing. My boas tend to be more predictable feeders, I rarely have a boa refuse, while every now and then my ball pythons just skip a meal for no apparant reason.

As for where to buy them... all I suggest is to make sure you get a captive born one. There is no shortage of quality boa breeders out there, take your pick. :D

Rav

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Another option for obtaining a boa is to check out your local adoption agencies. There are a lot of unwanted reptiles that get passed around and basically "thrown out"

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biggsxr

biggsxr Embryo

That is very true stormy. My second Red tail came from a guy i work with. It had been an "Orphan" so to speak being passed around abit until i got it. Alot of people get them and dont know what they are getting their hands. Most people dont do the type of research needed. That being said most Red tails are very good pets as long as you do your part to keep them healthy and socialable. :)