This is so cool

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by shadowfx78, Dec 8, 2004.

1. shadowfx78

shadowfx78 New Member

Well im very happy indeed, I got a True Fire Skink yesterday. Im going to try gettin pictures of him posted later. but for now here is a link of what he kinda looks like. I have dubbed him Togo...

http://www.diamondreptile.com/fire_skink.html

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Congrats! Can't wait to see pics. Is this your first skink?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. shadowfx78

shadowfx78 New Member

Yes it is my first skink i fell in love with him when i first saw him.

He is in a 20 gallon long tank with reptibark substrate, reptirock water bowl, artifical lava rock replica and a vine for ground cover. Right now im using an IR lamp for heating the enclosure but plan on buying a UTH in a week or so.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

Sounds cool! Can't wait to see the pics! I like the name too!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Oscar

Oscar Member

Skinks are way cool!

We are about to branch out from owning just geckos to owning some other species of lizard. Currently in the HEAVY research stage to see which animal is for us and I have to say, skinks are on the list. Though I understand that they aren't too happy about being handled? Or am I thinking of something else?

Can't wait to see the pics!

Cory

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shadowfx78

shadowfx78 New Member

I dont know i havent handled him much as im letting him adjust to his new home. I did hold him at the petstore before i got him and he was a lil wiggly but i think just like my leopard geckos he will get used to me and come to know i mean him no harm.

You might want to try a snieders (spelling) skink they are pretty common and relatively inexpensive to purchase. Just keep in mind most if not all skinks are very secretive and like to burrow.

12. Oscar

Oscar Member

yeah, was looking at a couple of different fellas at the local shop and most if not ALL were just noses sticking out of the substrate...lol.... though the exception was the fella YOU got, he was on a bark hide just surveying his domain!

Thanks for the suggestion

13. shadowfx78

shadowfx78 New Member

How much was the fire skink you saw? Yeah if you have the right conditions they will spend more time out n about. I have the tank setup like the forest floor. and he is out where you can see him but he feels secure and concealed.

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

Oscar there are some blue tounge skinks that i have heard that dont appreciate being held, but fires i hear are docile and dont mind it

15. shadowfx78

shadowfx78 New Member

ah i heard blue tongues were pretty handleable but i may be mistaken. I got his setup pretty much perfect now, i was having a lil bit of a humidity problem earlier but that has been fixed by adding a damp towel on top of the lid and a layer of bed a beast over the repti-bark.

16. biochic

Most blue tongues are pretty mellow, but like any animal, that all depends on them. Most Prehensile-tailed skinks hate to be handled but ours is pretty tame. Tame enough for us to use him for demonstrations. SO it all depends on the animal.

17. shadowfx78

shadowfx78 New Member

yeah i guess it does boil down to the animals temperment, like i have heard of a few people who have tokay geckos the varitable pit bull of the gecko world that are willing to let themselves be handled. I hope i can develop a good bond with my skink he is so cool and feels so much different to the touch when compared to my leopard geckos.

18. biochic

Just give him plenty of time and patience. And don't feel bad if he doesn't seem to warm to you. I have a Halmahera Gecko that could kick a Tokay's butt! But I don't take it personally. He's had a rough life (he was essentially a rescue) and I don't care if he likes me so long as he's happy and healthy. So just take your time and try to get on his good side. Their pretty mellow animals for the most part. Give him time to adjust to his new surroundings though before you handle him too much.

19. shadowfx78

shadowfx78 New Member

yeah i know, ok i have been thinkin about this a bit lately (well since i started research on Fire Skinks) i would like to put together a very comprehensive but easily understood caresheet

20. biochic

I'd collect all of your resources, websites, breeder correspondences, and anything else you may pull from and start with an outline of all the info you'd like to include. Just make sure our references are good. Then I'd check other care sheets if you find them and compare yours to them. Then find out if there are any major differences and research why there may be inconsistencies.

21. shadowfx78

shadowfx78 New Member

well things are beginning to come together very well for my caresheet, I have found several others on different forums that i regularly visit who also have fire skinks who are going to help me out as well.

I measured Togo yesterday he is 11 inches long, im going to attempt to weigh him later today.

22. shadowfx78

shadowfx78 New Member

23. reptipoo

reptipoo New Member

everyone says my skink is ugly and he gets sad and hides from them.... mines a five lined skink tho and hes from the wild withc i know people are liek OH YOU CANT DO THAT but its ok cuz hes nice and hes happy

24. shadowfx78

shadowfx78 New Member

well sad news in Togo land..... I had to return him to PetSmart today, turns out the reason he wasnt acting quite right was that he had a massive infection.

25. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

thats a shame i hope you find one that is ok.