Tokay Frustration

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Frost_Wraith, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

Ok, I've had my tokay, Smaug, for about four months now. For a long while I had the most frustrating time with him, because he literally spent 90% of his time underneath his rock cave. now I udnerstand that tokays are secritive and lots of reptiles spend the day in thier hides, but this was rediculious. I would go to bed around 1 am and I would look in the tank and he would STILL be under that frigging rock! I had to do a quick cleaning one day when I discovered that water was building up in the terrarium. I cleaned it up and found I had too many decorations in the tank, it wouldn't let the water evaporate properly. So I took out two plants and his stone rock cave, leaving his log as a hiding place. And after that things were great. He was everywhere! He climbed the glass at night, crawled around exploring. It seemed like the tank was really his home now. During the day he would hide behind a thick plant and his waterfall. But NOW....hes rediscovered his log, and hes not coming out again.
    This is so frigging frustrating! What is wrong? Why does he confine himself to this small space all day and night?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. joe5555

joe5555 Member

most tropical geckos are like that. If you want something that moves during the day get a diurnal lizard. like agamas , small tegu

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

No thats not what I'm frustrated about. He stays under there even through the night. Which I know isn't right. I expect him to stay hid during the day, but during the night when he is supposed to be the most active?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. joe5555

joe5555 Member

is he eating, does he look sick. Maybe just lazy?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

He looks fine and he is eating. And he did come out a bit last night. But its like....I dunno. Like hes so scared of me hes willing to spend his whole life in hiding

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. reako45

reako45 Member

How old /big is he? I keep 2 Goldens and 4 Bibrons. One thing about these nocturnal climbers is that they've all got their individual personalities. Snape & Loki, my 2 adult male Bibrons are out of their hiding spots every night around the same time up on their branches or the glass. My Goldens, Sunny & Midas will come out once every 2 weeks and do whacky stuff like climb upside down on the tank ceiling. Minerva my little Bibrons still stays hidden most of the time and Shaka, the one I rescued rarely moves from her hiding spots. I supposed you've just got a really shy Tokay.

reako45

12. herpslave

herpslave Member

If you want your tokay to come to you just twitch your finger by her nose! See what happens! It just might happen shes not so shy after all!

13. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

I'll try that, but I'm wearing gloves.

14. herpslave

herpslave Member

15. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

How dumb do you think I am? :mrgreen:

16. herpslave

herpslave Member

Ok then I should tell you that nice perfect clothe gloves are fine. I know your smart enough to do this!

17. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

18. Gekkojoe

Gekkojoe New Member

If he has plenty of stuff to hide behind, why don't you just take the log out? Tokays will find the darkest spot and that's were they tend to spend most of their time, also I read somewhere that in the wild they aren't really active until around 2 am and on, so he may just be waiting for you to go to sleep, if he's eating good then there is no reason to be alarmed, you could also try feeding him at night.

19. mcollins

mcollins Embryo

or it seems to me you should change the terriums look once in a while but toykays are one of the geckos wicth will come out to eat and drink. never for the heck of it they'll come out i gues they the shy type :oops:hope i helped

20. mcollins

mcollins Embryo

or it seems to me you should change the terriums look once in a while but toykays are one of the geckos wicth will come out to eat and drink. never for the heck of it they'll come out i gues they the shy type hope i helped

21. mcollins

mcollins Embryo

sorry type o i hit submit twice

22. marcus

marcus New Member

dont worry. i think its a stage. anyways my guys doing the same thing. hes shedding and wont eat so i have to hand feed him. with gloves. ha ha.

23. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

my new tokay, spends all day behind a big plant next to the wall mounted heat mat, but as soon as the curtains close at 7 ish, he comes out, and hangs off the ceiling, sometimes by only his back feet!

then about midnight he comes down to floor level and starts eating what ever foods there.
    also my house mate said he was calling very loudly at 3 pm in the afternoon the other day- maybe hes just confused

24. lambrettaguy80

lambrettaguy80 New Member

I think Count is broken because i havent heard him bark besides when i pick him up or hes a female lol