Tokay Not Eating Yet

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by AP327, Mar 1, 2005.

1. AP327

AP327 New Member

Alright, I got my Tokay the friday before last so it's been about a week and a half and she hasn't eaten yet. Is it normal for a Tokay to wait this long before eating.

Some more info:

Temp. is about 80 on the floor during the day and drops to about 70 at night.
    I mist the cage heavily several times a day.
    Measurements = 24" x 24" x 35'

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

have you tried smaller sized crickets or a pinkie?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. AP327

AP327 New Member

haven't tried pinkies.
    The crickets I have are somewhat varied in size, some smaller, some bigger.
    There are a couple bigger ones and a smaller one in the enclosure right now.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

Where did you get your Tokay?

It takes up to 2 weeks for a new lizard to get comfortable enough. But if you got your lizard from a petshop or inexperienced breeder, it could have parasites. That's what was wrong with mine and why my golden gecko wasn't eating (if you didn't read my thread right below yours yet). Found that out today infact.

So if all else fails, take it to a vet and see if you can find out if there's internal problems.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. AP327

AP327 New Member

I got my Tokay from petco.
    If she's not eating by next week I'll take her to the vet.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

I recommend you schedual a vet appointment now for soon. Petco is Infamous for unhealthy lizards. Specially those with worms.

Taking a lizard to the vet isn't that expensive. 15 dollars for a fecal inspection. 40 for a regular checkup. That's about it. And it'll be worth it once you know exactly what's wrong with your lizard and how to fix the problem.

Hope I'm of some help.

12. AP327

AP327 New Member

The earliest I'd be able to get her to the vet is saturday because that's when i get paid and I don't have any cash right now.

I've checked over her cage several times today and have only found two of the three crickets that were there last night so she may have eaten one last night. I'm not quite sure yet, those crickets have fooled me before(they can hide quite well).

13. AP327

AP327 New Member

Well, she still hasn't eaten so i'm going to start calling vets tomorrow to find one that knows what they're doing with reptiles and get her in as soon as possible.

14. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

Alright, cool. I hope everything goes well and worse comes to worse they'll give you 2 syringes.. one for meds and another for forcefeeding.

You can forcefeed your tokay by mixing crushed dried crickets/mealworms into canned catfood and feeding via the syring.. How you get the mouth open is another story altogether :(

I hope everything works out for you.

15. reako45

reako45 Member

I hope all goes well w/ your Tokay @ her doctors appointment. As a future resource, "General Care and Maintenance of Tokays and Related Species" by McKeown & Zaworski is a book I swear on. It's a little black & white book, but it covers alot of aspects of the care of these wonderful creatures.

reako45

16. AP327

AP327 New Member

Well the visit to the vet went very well.
    No signs of disease, dehydration, parasites or other physical ailments and she was being very active while the vet was checking her out. He gave me a syringe to give her some water and told me to force feed her a few crickets and she should start eating on her own shortly. And the bill came to a whopping $11.50!

Thanks for the help everyone!
    I'll have to check out that book reako.

17. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

Whew, glad your lizard is in top health and the bill was cute and cuddly. ^^ It's good to know when your pet is healthy.

18. AP327

AP327 New Member

More good news!
    She finally ate on her own last night!
    I feel so much better now. Even though the vet said she was ok I was still worried that she wouldn't eat.

Also, she's calmed down quite a bit since I got her. I can handle her now without her even trying to bite me.

19. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

^^ congrads on a healthy, eating lizard. I hope the future between you two is spiffy and neat :)

20. Liquid_Squelch

Liquid_Squelch New Member

I just came along on this thread since I feel my male tokay has the same problem. I wish I had your vet though... My vet is $30 for a fecal, and by the time you walk out, its about $100. But he's ok, and he spends time with you.. We didn't feel rushed at all.