too long???

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by mohikan22, Sep 4, 2007.

1. mohikan22

mohikan22 New Member

Is this claw too long?? if so how would i go about trimming it? i have trimmed off the tip so not too sharp but unwilling to try further without advice. when she walks on the floor the claw is sideways,
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/moh...22/IMG_0008.jpg

any advice appreciated
    matt n griz

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Iluvmyiggys

Iluvmyiggys Embryo

Hey Matt,
    Is that a red iguana? if so then no I wouldn't cut those nails, Iggys are suppose to have long nails for climbing, but if you choose to go to this link first...http://www.iguanaden.org/care/claws.htm

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mohikan22

mohikan22 New Member

hi there. NOBODY here or elsewhere seems to know what my iggy IS. lol.
    she not green at all unless cold. she is permanently orange throughout even her shedding. she is approx 8-9yr old now.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. msdnhy

msdnhy Embryo

WOW? how big is she?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Iguana_Momma_Sushi

Iguana_Momma_Sushi New Member

Iguanas still need their nails trimmed, especially if it's laying sideways on the floor when she walks. That's like a farrier telling me that a potbellied pig I had, didn't need his hooves trimmed, b/c people only did it for looks. His legs were ruined because of this. So yes, if it has claws/hooves/nails, and doesn't wear them down, they're gonna need trimmed.

For smaller iguanas, fingernail clippers (like you'd use on your nails) are fine, but when they're older, you can use cat claw trimmers, or dog claw trimmers, depending on how thick the nail is. BUT you only want to take the sharp tip off, their quick is very long, and it's not at all hard to trim into the live nail. Soak your ig in water if you do trim too short.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mohikan22

mohikan22 New Member

ty for the advice but you have missed the point.... i have the clippers and i have taken off the point but i am unsure of where to go next as i think i have clipped it to the quick.
    im not sure if i can clip further..........

12. mohikan22

mohikan22 New Member

PS> she is 4.5ft long snout to tail tip

13. Iluvmyiggys

Iluvmyiggys Embryo

when you clip the quick it hurts! don't do it!! I saw the pic and I do see that the nails are long but they are not crazy long and there is no health reason for hurting your iggy like that, In My Opinion it would be cruel. they are suppose to have long nails. within reason.
    [​IMG]

it will be hard for iguana to climb after the nails are shortened.

14. mohikan22

mohikan22 New Member

ah ty a better picture than those i found.
    appreciated
    matt and griz.