Two tokay in one tank?

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Theraphos, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Theraphos

Theraphos Embryo

Can i have two geckos in one tank?
    I am afraid that my male would "torture" my female because he would want to have "sex". I dont know did i have to buy another (second) female:/
    This is my tank for tokay:
    http://theraphos.cba.pl/

Sory about my english but I am from Poland and i dont know very well english :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. AP327

AP327 New Member

Housing a male and female together is probably not a good idea unless you want babies. Your tank is definitely big enough for two or three tokays but since you already have one tokay in the tank it would be very tricky, if not impossible, to successfully introduce another gecko (this goes for any species) because the gecko currently living in the tank is going to be territorial whether the new gecko is male or female.

If you really want to have two tokays in the same enclosure the easiest way to go would be to sell or trade of your current tokay (or move it to another enclosure) and buy two tokays and put them in the tank at the same time. As long as they are about the same size and compatible (ex. 1 male 1 female, or 2 females) everything should work out if you do it that way. No promises though, every gecko is an individual and some simply will not tolerate sharing an enclosure.

Well, that's my two cents.
    Maybe other people will have more to add or correct any mistakes I may have made.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Theraphos

Theraphos Embryo

Thanks for advice.
    I am afraid that i won't be able to buy two tokay females for once and I am going to buy only one (maybe for few months i will have some money to buy next female). I've got one male in my tank and i decidet to have there one male and two females. But if i buy now a female and put her into my male would he be aggressive oposite her?
    I am going to buy a female in that same age and that same size.
    I dont know will I find two females at once.

I've got another dilemma. I am afraid i won't get along with three tokays.
    Do you think that if i buy two females would my male by less agresive? Or maybe he became more agresive.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. AP327

AP327 New Member

I don't think the number of females added will have much effect on how aggressive he will be.
    The best and easiest way to house multiple geckos in the same enclosure is to introduce them to each other and the enclosure at the same time so none of them will feel that they have to defend their territory.

You don't really have to buy them at the same time, just keep them in seperate enclosures ( with none in the main enclosure) until you have as many as you want and then put them into the main enclosure at the same time.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Theraphos

Theraphos Embryo

Thanks!
    But I am afraid that i won't be able to find place for next tank.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. AP327

AP327 New Member

haha
    Finding room is always a problem!

12. Theraphos

Theraphos Embryo

AP327- what about raising only one tokay in this tank? Can I? Won't he be alone?

13. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

that's the best thing to do. If you already have one, especially since it's a male, he'll be quite happy being the master of such a nice cage. They are better off being alone as they are not social creatures. Having more than one will cause added stress.

BTW, if you decide to add another one, you would need atleast a separate temporary set up to quarantine the new comer to make sure that she (has to be a female) has not brought with her any diseases or foreign matter.
    The recommended quarantine period is 3 months.

14. tokayownerblue

tokayownerblue Embryo

I have two tokays in the same tank and they work out well. one is much bigger than the other but they must be two females because they never fight or make any kind of noise. I brought my second one within a week of having my first one. Something that I think helps with having two tokays is so they don't become territoral constantly move around the furniture within the tank so nothing is in the same place all the time.

15. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

This is a very old thread, but thanks for your input, okayownerblue!