Unwillingly parting with my tank....

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Hawsegal, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

First off, I know this should go in the enclosure forum HOWEVER this tank is for the most part a leopard gecko tank...or rather, thats how I used it so I suppose its best posted here.

Story:

I bought the tank at the flea market for 15$ because the end was busted (its a 55gallon) So I Pieced the end back together with packing tape (lizard or human cannot get cut on it, dont worry!) and put background over it to mask the tape effect :)

I ended up switching to a rack system and no longer need, or, have room for this tank...I have it set up for a second level if you're so inclined as to do so also...a clever rigging of pieces of dowel rod and industrial strength glue..it seats a 12x12 tile ontop of it for 1/2 of the tank, I suppose its best seen than described.

Anyways, long story short..I would like for this tank to go to someone who needs it and can use it well, As I said the end (small end) is only pieced together with tape but holds well. It has a stone background on it (plastic fishtank tape on background)and I have a few tiles I can send with it as well as a ramp to allow access to the second floor. Although I dont know if its enough to cover the bottom of the tank and the second floor because Ive had friends need a few tiles here and there.

I am located in Goshen, Ohio and am willing to give this tank up for free, all I ask is use it well :) oh...and come pick it up yourself,lol.

No stand with it however, sorry! Leave a message on this post or PM me and we will discuss pick up date etc etc.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

How far is Goshen from Columbus, Ohio? Any pics? What are the dimensions of a 50 gallon tank?

Thanks!

curiousKathy

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

dont know about the dimensions of a 50 gallon :) but the 55 to the best of my memory is about 4 foot long...one foot wide and about 16-18 inches tall... Goshen is down around the cincinnati area . theres a link ...about as vague of a map as I can show without getting all sorts of crazy stalkers :)

When I go to the herp show in columbus it takes me about an hour and a half to get there from my house. 71 to 275 is the straightest shot from there to here.

I cant get any good pics of it as its out in my garage, with the background on it you cant even tell it was broken. It held all of my girls well with no escapes. (theyre all separated in a rack system now)

fixed that bad boy big link. C_3

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

Sorry about the size! <grin> I'm not sure I have a place large enough for a 4 ft tank to sit. Let me check around the house to see if I have a place to put it. Does it come with a UTH by any chance or just what you mentioned above? When is the next reptile show in Columbus?

Thanks!

curiousKathy

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

unfortunately my cousin hijacked my heater from it for her own gecko,lol, so just what I have listed..I had it sitting ontop of my entertainment stand however if you cant find a place to "Sit" it on you can always put a quick shelf up...Ive found them to be invaluable as far as my tanks go! The next reptile show in columbus is on february 10th...I keep track of when they are by visiting allohioshows.com

I hope that you're able to take it as its really not as banged up as it seems :) im pretty good at my patch jobs...and if you dont want the tape on it you can always get a new piece of glass and aquarium sealant to repair it. Let me know either way :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. sarae

sarae New Member

Re: RE: Unwillingly parting with my tank....

it's february 10th.

are you in columbus, kathy?

12. sarae

sarae New Member

i keep track of when they are by when i run out of crickets ;) I've got it down to a science!

13. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

Ah, Im conveniently located 20 minutes from grubco...so occassionally I take a small drive to them to replenish my stock :) and of course a quickie detour to Jungle Jims lol. However I still love going eyeball shoping at the columbus show....I usually come home with more legs than I left with, be it feeders or critters :)

14. sarae

sarae New Member

you're also not far from Chirp n Time.. they're the vendor i get my crickets from at the show. They're out of Hamilton.

Can't skip jungle jim's! I used to live across the river in Covington (kentucky) and we'd make quite a few trips to jungle jim's when we had the time!

15. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

hmm, I'll have to check them out if they have good prices. 15.00 pr thousand is hard to beat though. Jungle jims is awesome, I love to get prickly pears and cactus pads for my beardeds there. let alone brave myself for a few out of country cuisines.

Since were all from ohio, I heard on the radio there is a pet store called "extreme pets" i believe that its a reptile store from what I heard, I only heard it once though :) has anyone else heard of this place?

16. sarae

sarae New Member

i pay $14 or 15 per thousand at the show.

my beardies haven't had prickly pear or cactus pad yet, i might have to check at some of the organic stores come summer.

i haven't heard of 'extreme pets' .. but i only listen to one radio station and most of their commercials are for, er, gentlemen's clubs.

17. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

.....yep...Ive heard those too *tsk* lol.
    Ive tried looking into the store but cant find anything.
    Ive been trying everything to get the beardeds to eat their greens...but children will be children...I used to buy my crickets solely at the show until i waited 4-5 hours there and they never showed...the vendor right up against the front wall when you go in on the left? i dont know what had happened but i ended up having to leave...feederless, and the lizards were not pleased with their mom,lol. Thusly i was introduced to Grubco....and now they know exactly what I want when I walk into the door...well...not into but through.

18. sarae

sarae New Member

the guys at the front of the show.. i've never had good luck with them and neither have most of my customers (i work at a columbus petsmart).. I use the guys at the back left of the show - like i said, they're based out of hamilton (and have a cincinnati phone number!) I email them a week before the show and they give me a discount and have my crickets and mealies waiting for me with my name on them :)

my beardies love their greens... but i think chia will eat darn near anything i put in her tank. she's a piggie.. i think she'll catch up and maybe even pass my older beardie in size!

how old are your beardeds?

19. yippieskippie

yippieskippie New Member

i can vouche for hawsegal's craftmanship. shes awesome! lol id take your tank but you already know i have like 10 in storage and ill shoot myself if i take in any more herps. i loved that 55 gal almost as much as ur gex. ok, maybe not that much... but it was pretty cool.

20. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

Hi sarae!

Yes! I am in a suburb on the southeast side of Columbus...ever hear of Pickerington? It's close to Reynoldsburg and Lancaster...Are you going to the reptile show? Where is it in Columbus?

curiousKathy

21. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

LOL I read that and was thinking..."who the heck? *paranoia*" then I saw your name :) awww, you can take more critters, I know two true fire skinks with your name on them!

22. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

RE: Re: RE: Unwillingly parting with my tank....

You can get directions at allohioshows.com also.. I do believe im going to make an effort to go up to this next show :)

23. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

any word as to whether anyone can take this tank?

24. sarae

sarae New Member

I live on the north end between westerville and worthington, but work on the west end in hilliard. The show is out on the west side off of broad street, like hawsegal said, allohioshows.com has directions :D

I'm going to the show, i have to pick up my monthly ration of crickets! I usually just run in, grab what i need and run out..don't need anything else right now and i usually have to work all night after the show anyway.

25. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

I am trying to determine whether I have a spot for a 55 gallon tank....I could take it and then find a spot later I suppose. Boy will my hubbie be nervous when he sees me come home with a bigger tank!!!! <grin> How soon will you need someone to pick it up? Any chance you could bring it with you to the reptile show and I could meet you and pick it up?

Just thought I would ask...<grin>

curiousKathy