Unwillingly parting with my tank....

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Hawsegal, Jan 27, 2007.

1. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Unwillingly parting with my

I thought I was bowing out so Kaitebug06 could have it...is she not interested in it anymore? Let me know if she is not and if you guys can bring it up to the show, I will try to pick it up! <grin> I have somewhere to be Feb 10th where I have to leave at 3pm to get there, but could pick up before that possibly...why is picking up a free tank so difficult? <grin>

curiousKathy

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Unwillingly parting with

After thinking some more about the tank, if Katiebug06 doesn't want it, I do!!! If you bring it to the reptile show, Feb 10th I will meet you there to pick it up. I just need to meet you in the morning or around noon if possible. Let me know if it will work...otherwise I would need to figure out how to get to you.

thanks!

curiousKathy

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Unwillingly parting with

well, we have up till the 9th to figure out whose doing what and who wants what and why the dish ran away with the spoon and all that jazz...I just wanna know the final decision! lol.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Unwillingly parting

So Hawsegal,

Have you heard whether Katiebug06 is still interested in the tank? Does the Feb 9th deadline apply to making a decision or do you need the tank picked up before then? I cannnot pick up the tank by Feb 9th...grin...the weekend of the 10th is not good for me to travel to pick it up other than the reptile show in Columbus. I may be able to pick it up the following weekend...

Clear as mud?

curiousKathy

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Unwillingly part

I just need to know by the 9th so I can drag it outa the garage by the 10th..its pretty burried by now. I havent heard from Katiebug06 lately so as far as I know....who knows! If she wants it lemme know, if you do, lemme know :lol: just someone say CLAIMED! I believe we can bring it up...we(yippieskippie and I) just need to clerify before friday. This is simply because the time I get up to go to the show (6:30 is wake up time!) my mind is not functioning at its full potential. If you want it still, curiousKathy, i believe that it can still be brought up. I just need a final answer as to who is taking it.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. yippieskippie

yippieskippie New Member

lol you guys are so funny. hawsegal, why don't you make a rule like whoever is the next person to post saying they want it gets it to end all the confusion. as far as i know hawsegal and i are going together to the show the morning of feb 10th, and if need be the tank will ride along as well. =)

12. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

sounds like a winner...whoever claims it first gets it :)

13. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

Hi Hawsegal!

CLAIMED!!!!! I will take the tank...what time do you want me to meet you at the reptile show?

curiousKathy

14. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

I generally like to get up there when...if not before, the doors open :) i like to get first pick,lol.Let me ask YippieSkippie what she wants to do and we will get back to you ASAP with a time...place..etc etc.

15. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

Okay! Sounds great! I just need to be out of the reptile show by no later than 2pm; earlier would be better...

Thanks!

curiousKathy

16. sarae

sarae New Member

i sleep in too much. any of you guys gonna be at the show around 10-11? that's usually about the time i straggle in :)

17. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

i usually mill around for a few hours to wait for the late vendors to mosey in lol.

18. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

Okay...I have never been to a reptile show...what kinda stuff is there? I have heard about the cricket and mealworm venders, how big is it? How many reptiles will be there? How long does it take to look at everything?

Thanks!

reptile show newby,

curiousKathy

19. MorganaBanana

MorganaBanana New Member

im going to the Northwest Captive Breeders Expo, in seattle in march and i was wondering the same things. i really want to get a skink or small snake but i dont know the rules of taking reptiles across the border iinto canada....

20. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

Im sure that theres some sort of regulations for taking animals across the border, id check before i bought with the people who run the check between the countries(i cant remember what theyre called now)

The show in columbus is deacent sized, if you can imagine a rather large Hall (like the type you can rent for a party) thats about how big it is. There are reptile vendors EVERYWHERE!!! deli cups galore with little lizzie eyes looking out at you..People sometimes bring their herps with them and wear them on their shoulders as they browse ( i dont advise it at the current outside temps)

They have insect pets there also, scorpions, cockroaches, mantis', millipedes, centipedes, ect ect..its different everytime you go really. They also have snakes...which I have noticed are getting more and more popular. Ive seen a few alligators for sale, lots of beardies cresteds frogs and leopards. There are typically 2-3 feeder booths and misc. people selling smaller amounts of feeders. Also people selling cage decor, lights, cages, tanks, stands, plants, ect ect.

If you get there earlier you can generally eyeball it and take your time doing so in about an hour MAX...however after people really start showing up it gets harder to walk throuhg the crowd and the rows tend to take on a "one way only" effect..so you kinda go with the flow :lol: Its really rather addictive. I wouldnt really buy any heat pads or lights and most decor from there...its kinda overpriced (SHH!!you didnt hear that from me) but if you get there early you can generally snatch up the good deals.

TAKE PAPER MONEY!!!!! most vendors do not accept credit cards or checks and will send you to an ATM

Some breeders and vendors WILL hold a reptile for you if you seem a promising purchaser...however they wont hold it forever...

People also make a lot of trades there
    "you like my gecko...I like your gecko, lets swap!"

There are so many animals there your head will swim! I bet you go once and youre hooked :D

IF you find the time and want to go.. indianapolis has a bigger show than columbus...although ive only been told and have never went myself..supposedly its better than the columbus show...

you ***WILL*** see lizards on particle substrate...I have told vendors and it seems to go in one ear and out the other..unfortunately there is not much you can do about this..its very saddening and all you can do is hope that someone buys them and gives them a good home. There ARE cramped conditions fo rthe reptiles and they are under a lot of stress... if you do buy one...handle it first..look it over.. if they refuse to at least hold it for you and let you look it over...DONT buy it..chances are they are hiding something thats wrong with the animal from you.

at this time of year DO bring hand pack heat warmers and a windproof container for any feeders and animals you buy, they will get cold :D

thats about all i got for ya :D any other q's i'll try to answer,lol.

sorry for all the bad punctuation and no-caps!

21. sarae

sarae New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Unwillingly

I also don't advise it because you never know what any of the other lizards may be carrying.

I can do the whole show in an hour or an hour and a half if i stop and look at everything. I can also do the show in less than 10 minutes if i've pre-ordered my feeders and i'm in a hurry :D

22. Hawsegal

Hawsegal New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Unwillin

lol..like the national lampoons when they visit the grand canyon

"UH HU! UH HU! LETS GO!"*run run run*
    Ive done that too...buts its SOOOOOO hard not to stop at something besides feeders..plus if im driving an hour and a half....well, I might as well look...

I also agree with "I also don't advise it because you never know what any of the other lizards may be carrying."

Especially with adenovirus and all that icky stuff!

oh...and one last thing...if you do buy an animal QUARENTINE!!<---bad spelling!

Separate from your established lizards for at LEAST 3 months and wash wash wash your hands!

23. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Unwillin

Thanks for the informative posts! I may buy some feeders there, so I will remember to bring hand packs and a box or something...thanks for the cash tip!!!! I would have forgotten that! I use my debit card for everything...how much do feeders run? I will have 1-2 leos to feed, so maybe 500 crickets (or less) for a month? Mealworms, 500? What do I put them in to store them after I buy?

Thanks! Do we have a meet time yet for Saturday hawsegal? grin

curiousKathy

24. sarae

sarae New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Unwi

i think 500 mealworms or crickets run about $8 or $9, i buy by the thousand for $14 or 15 a box.

I get mine from the guy in the back left side of the building and mealworms come in a plastic deli cup with bran while crickets either come in plastic deli cups or cardboard boxes (depending on how many you get).

You can get them home in the container they're packaged in.

Once they're home, storage is up to you... you can leave the mealworms in the cup they're in or transfer them to a critter keeper or plastic shoebox or spare 10 gallon tank with oats (or gutload, preferably, if you have some made/purchased already). The crickets you can either put in cricket keepers, critter keepers or - my personal preference - rubbermaid bins with holes cut out of the lid and screen glued in place.

to get the crickets out, i have my bin all ready, then i cut the box open and dump everything into the bin. Once everything is out of the box, i shake all the crickets off the egg crate and set the crate aside. Then I pull out the wads/sheets of paper and throw them away. Then i take out the stinky potato and throw it away. I shake all the crickets to one side of the bin and put the egg crate back in, layered with computer printer paper between the crates so the crickets don't get smashed.

after the crickets have run to the egg crate, i sweep up the leftover deads/shed skins and throw them away, then put in my food and water.

here's some pictures of my setup (i keep about 1000 mealworms and 2000 crickets to a container)-

mealworms:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

crickets:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE:

sarae,

Awesome post! Thanks! Do you keep your mealworms at room temperature all the time? Is the mealworm tub ventilated somehow? Do they breed in there or do you use them all in a month? If I only get 500 crickets would a 10 gallon be better?

curiousKathy