Update On New (Mean) Iguana

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by reptilesrock, Oct 24, 2005.

1. reptilesrock

reptilesrock Member

Hi again. Well, it has been a little over a week and we are doing better! I started by holding a piece of food out with one hand and as he was eating it out of my hand, scooped him up with the other hand. Once in my hands he would want to go to my chest. He will let me pet just the top of his head. If I touch anywhere else, he will bite me. (But it's a start.) The only other thing I am having a problem with is his jumping! He will be sitting calmly on my chest or in my hands and then in the the blink of an eye, jump off me - go soaring for about 6 feet and then crash onto whatever is on the ground in his path. What is this all about? I'm afraid he is going to hurt himself! I cannot tell when he is going to do it though. Thanks again for the help!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. snitch

snitch Embryo

Sounds like you have a happy toddler! Just keep on the relationship, because it will get bigger and stronger. My concern would be the biting. Have you tried to "tell it off"? Let him know that you do NOT accept that, that YOU are in charge. They are sensitive to the different sounds of our voice. When he acts well, praise him and maybe give him a piece of strawberry. That's a real treat, like candy for a kid.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. reptilesrock

reptilesrock Member

Ok snatch, i'll try that. Thanks for your help. He has gone from biting me pretty much the whole time I was holding him - to only once or twice in the session and it is usually only if I touch his sides or under chin. So, I have tried to not touch those areas too much until he is more comfortable with me. Thanks again!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

Yeah, the running and jumping behavior is pretty normal at that age. The only thing you can really do is keep working with him, and try to keep in mind that he is going to leap and run...so hold him in a closed off room away from other pets etc...

glad to hear he is coming along :)