Upgraded to bigger tank today / surprise eggs found / pics!

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by stingray, Aug 29, 2007.

1. stingray

stingray New Member

Today I decided it was time to upgrade to a bigger tank today for my 1.2 tokays I have been keeping in another tank together. This unrelated trio is growing at a very fast rate. The male is just over 12 inches long and the 2 females are at the 11 inch mark. It is very hard to get pics of the females for they are very shy. But the male is always ready to pose for the camera.

While taking things out of the old tank and putting them in the new tank I found my first clutch of eggs. They were glued to the side of this flat rock. Very hard and all chalked up. Needless to say I was very excited.

Anyway here are some pics of the new tank, the big male, and the eggs. I am very pleased the way the new tank turned out. The trio will have alot more room to live now.

(To give you an idea of the size of the male, the bonzai tree that is in the tank is 12 inches high. Also the last 2 pics of the male is of him in his old tank.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Morke

Morke Embryo

RE: Upgraded to bigger tank today / surprise eggs found / pi

kinda short tank for 3 tokays, isn't it?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stingray

stingray New Member

Re: RE: Upgraded to bigger tank today / surprise eggs found

Some comments on talk forums never stop amazing me...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lewis_lizard14

lewis_lizard14 New Member

RE: Re: RE: Upgraded to bigger tank today / surprise eggs fo

wow thats a lovely tokay and a nice setup i recently found 3 eggs as a suprise but all 3 were dead unforunately but ive heard she will most definitely lay lots more as tyhey breed like rabbits. Cool Pics.
    Lewis

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. stingray

stingray New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Upgraded to bigger tank today / surprise egg

Thanks Lewis, glad you like it!

I noticed even after switching them from a smaller tank to a bigger tank the male and the female that laid the eggs are taking turns watching over the eggs. I thought after moving them into a different place they might get eaten but so far they are still accepting them as there own eggs.

I was not expecting to have eggs so soon for all my 2.3 tokays are only about year and a half old. How fast these have grown in size has really amazed me. Though I have always kept mine well fed and maintenance there tanks everyday. I feed mine dusted crickets and they eat the heck out of superworms in a bowl.

Sorry to hear about your eggs not being fertile. She will definately lay many more eggs to come. :wink:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lewis_lizard14

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Upgraded to bigger tank today / surprise

oo well good luck with the eggs and thanks. I normally feed mine dusted locusts but recently the have stopped feeding and im not sure why the temps are right and i mist daily. Any ideas???? thanks
    Lewis

12. stingray

stingray New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Upgraded to bigger tank today / surp

Sorry I am not an experienced tokay keeper. I decided to try to breed them so these are my first ones. If it was breeding Egyptian tortoises or Indian Star tortoises I could help you out for I have bred these for many years.

My tokays are all C.B. The 2 males are unrelated and the 3 females are related. As far as any ideas is maybe they are going into shed. I know this is true with all my different Uromastyxs I keep. When they go into shed they will go off feed to. Just a thought......... :idea:

13. lewis_lizard14

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Upgraded to bigger tank today /

oo ok thank thanks. :)
    Lewis

14. Morke

Morke Embryo

Re: RE: Upgraded to bigger tank today / surprise eggs found

hey, don't take it personal :) I KNOW you are upgrading to a bigger tank, I just was sorprised you'd been keeping Tokays in such a short tank, that's all =( don't be mad, I mean no harm

15. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Upgraded to bigger tank today / surprise eggs fo

no

that is a picture of the new tank isnt it?

& its short for 1 tokay, let alone three.
    its height and cover they require
    in the wild they spend very little time horizontal on the ground.

and im not sure why anyone would be amazed by these comments as they are pretty true IMHO

also i would provide a little more foliage and cover for them
    and your male should be seperate to the girls, this is probably why they are so shy,theyre hiding, males will dominate and pester the females, stressing them out.

Just my opinion

16. stingray

stingray New Member

According to their tokay "bible" book or care sheet they have read. Their are a couple of you "experienced" tokay keepers that think my setup is way of bounds for keeping tokays in that are thriving and breeding.

Please post some pics of your tokay setups so us inexperienced keepers can see how an experienced tokay keepers setup is suppose to look like for them to successfully thrive and breed.

Dont be shy or say I dont own a camera, my camera is broke, my batteries are dead, I lent my camera out, all I got is a camera phone, I dont know how to post pics ect......Post some pics, so all of us can see what a complete and professional tokay setup is suppose to look like.

17. lewis_lizard14

how are the eggs doing stingray????
    Lewis

18. stingray

stingray New Member

Doing just fine. Still hard and all chalked up. They are still taking turns guarding them. Thanks for asking.

In my other setup the female is looking mighty plump.

Here is a pic of my other setup that has 1.1 C.B. tokays in it.
    [​IMG]

19. brendywendy

that pic shows much more foliage and bark cover than the other,(edit:having looked carefully, the new tank has loads of hidey holes, i thought the rocks and bark at the back were up against the glass, but they arent and provide a whole series of hiding places for them-apologies) and looks really good, and the pics of the dudes themselves all show very healthy looking tokays.
    and good luck with the eggs.

i did add, it was just my opinion, on the end of my post, in no way did i say my opinion is worth more than yours.you may listen or not.

its completely up to you.i wansnt being mean, or picking on you
    but you asked what people thought, i gave you a response to that question.

also a female laying eggs doesnt give many pointers to her mental state
    she may just have been pestered into sex, from there she has little choice about laying them.
    and these eggs will keep coming if you have them kept together constantly.

I still think they are all a little small for adults, especially with more than one in a cage. due to the activity of a tokay during the night, love to move around, jump, etc

This is my tank
    i have no idea what a professional tokay tank might look like
    but this is the best i could muster for moe.

[​IMG]

he doesnt look happy, but im sure he is!! :wink:
    [​IMG]

20. stingray

stingray New Member

21. brendywendy

I took out the sarcasm bit as soon as i reread it,as it was totally uncalled for, i didnt realise you had seen it, so you are due an apology.-you are right it is difficult in written text to pick up the tone and emphasis, but i think you may be guilty of that also.
    i was not in anyway having a go at you, and tried to keep things light, i obviously failed.

i have never said or believed i was an expert, and calling me a forum rambo has tickled me pink.
    if im a forum rambo you want to see some of the people in the leopard gecko forum.

i didnt criticise, i just said that IMO they were a bit too small for adult tokays, especially multiples
    i always err on the side extra space, and would keep increasing the size at every opportunity, id give them a whole room each if i could, thats just me.

its the nature of the beast Only if you house male and females together
    and constant grividity(is that a word????) cant be ideal for a healthy female reptile.
    in the wild wouldnt they come across each other randomly, and not be forced into such a small confined area with them?

as for my tank, i didnt really ask for your opinion either, but thanks anyway.
    you asked me to post a pic in order that you could say something nasty about it, becuase you thought i was attacking you in someway, which again i must stress i was not.

actually mines an 80G tall, which is good becuase they spend most time in the vertical world and off the ground in the wild.
    im pretty sure its a good size for an adult, i could fit into it quite easily and im pretty fat and tall.
    it has plenty of real plants and hollow logs in the bottom half that you cant really see, and more vines, plants, and hollow logs as you go upwards, he has no problem in finding cover at any level, and feels very comfortable in there, compared to where i rescued him from it is an absolute palace.
    and as for your comment about practicing what i preach-i said provide lots of cover-i have
    i said it should be bigger, and tall in my opinion, and mine is-
    and i said not to house multiples, which i dont-
    i think, according to my definition, that i was, in fact, preaching what i practice

22. Morke

Morke Embryo

what's your problem man :S? FORUM RAMBOS?? what the hell? O_O
    I posted my opinion, and THAT'S ALL. No second intentions, no harm meaned, no ANYTHING, so, if you think i'm attacking you, FINE, but keep it for yourself, don't try to humilliate me with a sarcastic "answer".
    I mean, I even say I was sorry if you misunderstood my intentions. But, what ever, suit yourself :S

23. stingray

stingray New Member

It must be a habit of yours in reading something that never was written......once again.
    I never gave you my opinion on your setup or said anything nasty about your setup.

Just let it go.

24. stingray

stingray New Member

Here is a cool pic of one of the females getting a drink.
    [​IMG]

25. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Be civil and polite.
    Any time a picture is posted comments are going to be made, they are made with the health and well being of the animal in mind and you have clearly heard the same comments before.
    If anyone is going to comment they better do so in a constructive and helpful way (which was mostly done, after editing).
    This thread needs to take a different direction, everyone needs to 'let it go'.