URGENT! Need to know NC laws.

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by Bodie, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Bodie

Bodie New Member

I live in NC and need to know the laws here pretty fast..and I have not been able to find any websites yet that list the up-to-date laws for North Carolina.

1) Is it legal to OWN venomous reptiles? I am about to buy a copperhead and eventually move into the adder family..so I need to know if this is legal.

2) Is it legal to breed venomous reptiles?
    -if so..do I need a permit to breed them?

thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. adam2373

adam2373 Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Bodie

Bodie New Member

for some reason I thought that that act was not yet passed....

hmm.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. adam2373

adam2373 Member

Yea it sucks but here's a quote from the last paragraph in the act.

"This act becomes effective January 1, 2006, and applies to inherently dangerous animals existing in this State on or after that date. A person who meets the legal requirements for possessing an inherently dangerous animal set forth in Article 6 of Chapter 19A of the General Statutes, as enacted in this act, is not required to obtain a personal possession permit by that date, but shall obtain that permit by March 31, 2006. The Department of Environment and Natural Resources shall implement and administer the provisions of Article 6 of Chapter 19A of the General Statutes, and shall establish the fee authorized by that Article and the personal possession permit program necessary to implement the provisions of that Article no later than January 1, 2006."

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Bodie

Bodie New Member

thats strange.

My friend works in a place that both houses and breeds mambas, bushmasters, gaboons, puff adders...and sells them too. And they were just going to let me take home some adders to raise them.

Plus they had been working on getting this act to not go through..so I would think that I would have heard about it if it had already taken effect.

Ill find out for sure this weekend.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. adam2373

adam2373 Member

yea let me know, I'm suppose to be moving up to NC in about a year or two.

12. JameyF

JameyF New Member

Re: RE: URGENT! Need to know NC laws.

That says it's a bill and by definition a "bill" is not law. Of course, it could have been voted on by the state house and signed by the governor to make it law. I'm curious if anyone has followed that bill past the 2005 session.

I looked under the General assembly website of NC and found that the bill was senate bill 1032. There is no reference to that being made law under the 2005-2006 session. I followed that up by looking under General statutes section 19A which is where the bill was making the change, and there is no reference to dangerous animals except for dangerous dogs. It looks like it has not yet passed, and that bill as written wouldn't be possible to make law in it's current language due to the date requirements.

Of course, if someone finds information that is in contridiction I would love for a follow up post.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2005/...ML/S1032v0.html This is the link to the BILL.
    http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegisla...hapter_19A.html This is the link to the STATUTE to have been amended.

13. adam2373

adam2373 Member

RE: Re: RE: URGENT! Need to know NC laws.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'll be moving up there sooner then I thought, like in the next 6 months. I wonder if they will consider a full size Sucata dangerous, lol. Well since it can mow down fences.

14. LeoLady

LeoLady Member

Well, I don't think any kind of turtle or tortoise was included in what they consider "dangerous" here. I'm still pretty angry about the whole situation since they're splitting hairs and unrightfully labeling animals they don't understand. Just because you're a grown man who's scared of a boa doesn't mean you should pass laws against them. Totally ridiculous. But, I won't get on my soapbox too much today.

15. Collard

Collard Member

It was a bill that still hasnt been passed. Reptile Room is supporting the Carolina Reptile Expo next weekend and on the main page (www.gilaproductions.com) there is a petition to stop this bill from happening. Alot of people in this area including myself will be very dissapointed if this bill passes and are doing everything in our power to stop it.