Uro Question

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by waker123, Sep 23, 2007.

1. waker123

waker123 New Member

Hey all, I'm thinking about getting a Uro, but I am confused about one thing. All the care sheets on the internet that I take a look at all say that Uro's eat mostly greens, and that the owners will give them live feeders as a treat every once in a while. Is this true?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Yes it is correct tho I don't agree with those who deny insects totally.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Nines

Nines Member

It's funny, I was just reading some new care sheets a few days ago. The author of one of these care sheet said that Uro's in the wild tend to be more omnivores when they are juvies, and lean more toward becoming almost total herbivores as they become adults.

Could someone point toward the STUDY that backs this up?

It's an interesting aside.

I choose to make Nines a herbivore. I believe a diet anchored in quality greens like Bok Choy, Endive, and Dandelion leaves, and a protien source like lentils, etc is an excellent first step. Shredded carrot, selective fruits and other veggies are great. I top that off with Uro dust and Miner-all, for Vit A, D3, calcium, and phos.

Is it all just owner preference? My Uro, who was reared on Iceberg lettuce at the local Petco, has doubled in weight and added almost 2 inches to his already athletic frame :lol: since I picked him up 8 months ago. He's an Egyptian, so I expect some growth.

I'll be interested to see what the rest of you think on this subject.

Do you insect or not insect?

[​IMG]

Does this 13" Uro look like he really needs a cricket?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

I've always stuck by omnivorous as babies and herbies as adults making it a gentle progression. I've never seen an issue so long as the bugs are more of a supplemental aspect then a staple. I think at this point it's a keeper preference. One reason I think they are omnivorous is the lack of protein rich veg in places like Africa. They seem like a rather opportunistic feeder. I'm thinking the reason people mention the young eat more insects is because in atleast what I've noticed the young are more likely to take them.

The bottom line in my opinion: I've seen them raised fine with just veg as long as theirs a good protein source but I've seen some amazing uros raised with greens as the staple and crickets 1x a week too. Their are no studies I could find on the subject but to me it's to each his own at this time.