Uro Temperament..??

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by willywonka, Nov 16, 2005.

1. willywonka

willywonka New Member

I have been looking at uro's on auction sites or babies in pet stores & most of the pics on the auctions show the owners holding the uro & the pet store people pick up the baby uros out of the cage & it doesnt run away or try to bite. They "appear" to be as tame & calm as beardies but others have told me that this is not the case even though I am seeing what appears to be the contrary.

Can someone that has some first hand experience with uros please clear up if they are tame/docile lizards or excitable/nippy lizards that should not be handled..??

Thanks,

-Paul

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bunchOpets

bunchOpets New Member

My uro "Spike" is very calm....never nips....but i can tell you if hes in the mood he'll take off like speed racer, but all others i have seen, like yu said are very docile lizards....i love em...i own beardie who is the same way!! Pam

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Beardieloverforlife

Beardieloverforlife Embryo

I have a breeding pair. They are the calmest of lizards in my opinion. Cmon man they're vegetarians they're hippies. all they do is sit and bask they dont have tempermant in my opinion and if they do its easy to get rid of in regular handling

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. reptiles4me

reptiles4me New Member

My lizards are sooo the opposite. I have a beardie I rescued purely because from all the forums I'm on, I heard they were such mellow, gentle lizards. He was a juvenile and had been slightly neglected. I took him in and gave him the right light and heat and food and he became an ass lol! He is constantly flairing his beard out at me and blowing his body up. He only tolerates me picking him up occassionally to check him out. So we have a mutual respect sorta thing working now. He lets me pick him up for short periods when I have to and I don;t expect him to be my buddy hangin' out with me. It works lol.

My Uro on the otherhand was given to me as a gift, and I didn't know much about them. I had had plenty of reptiles though so I knew about their special heating and lighting needs. From the moment he came into my home, my little Uro will run up my arm and sit on my shoulder. I've been told to watch my ears lol. He has never shown any signs of aggression towards me at all. Go figure.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. maliman

maliman New Member

Uros are like cats, some like to be handled some don't. I now have eight, One likes too be touched two will tolerate about ten seconds of contact, one will wait wait until your hand is close and tail slap you. Three will slowly walk over to their hides, and my newest addition will run around the cage like a complete fool.

Since I'm a hands off guy it works out for both of us. Also I've seen post stating that after a person as had their uro out of the cage for a few minutes they calm down. My opinion is there not comming down their cooling off and trying to conserve heat. So I recommend that you keep a uro in the tank if you want to interact with them, unless its very hot outside of the tank (like their enviroment)