uromastyx acanthinurus questions

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by illegolas21, Dec 20, 2010.

1. illegolas21

illegolas21 Embryo

hello!

i have 2 uro acanthinurus i have them 5 days now and they sleep all the time the only thing they do is a round in the terrarium and sleep again...in the morning when i open the lights for the terrarium they continue to sleep and they are in the same place and after i come from the work and i open the terrarium to feed them and they wake up but they will move after a long but not anytime...

that is normal or is something wrong?

:p

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Although I do not keep Uros (always thought they were fascinating animals though) this sounds like behavior of a sick reptile - we can note similar behaviors in other lizards such a Bearded Dragons, geckos, etc when they are in sub-optimal conditions or they have some kind of illness. I'll ask you a few questions about husbandry first and these all check out, then we can deduce if it's husbandry related, an illness, or natural for this species. Hopefully someone on the board familiar with the species can chime in on the latter:

What exactly is your setup like: Size enclosure, substrate? How many hides?

What is your feeding regime: What are you feeding and how much? At what frequency?

What are you measuring temperatures with? If it's not a digital thermometer with a probe or tempgun, it's likely inaccurate.

What are your temperatures in the enclosure: Basking spot? Warm end? Cool end?

Are you providing any type of supplementation? (Calcium, Multivitamin)

This can at least give us something to run with - if all of your husbandry practices are good to go then it's either a natural behavior or illness, but we'll discuss this as appropriate: and give some time for a more experienced Uro keeper to see what the problem may be after having an idea of what your husbandry is.

= )

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Spyral

Spyral Embryo

I have two ornate uros and they are being pretty "lazy" and I suspect it's because it's winter. They are eating and basking though. More details as requested in the previous post would be helpful to make sure they are healthy.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jeffg46

jeffg46 New Member

I have no experience with Uros, but try your question here.

http://www.uromastyx.org

Some of the top breeders in the country frequent this forum.

Good luck.